Need ukulele shopping help!

make love to your uke

Reaction score
I am looking for an acoustic/electric tenor ukulele. My price limit is about $425.

I would like a solid wood ukulele with a slotted headstock if possible. :D

Any ideas on which ukulele suits my description?

Thank you very much.

I think you should look into the Kala Acacia Tenors. They have a solid Acacia wood body and fancy inlays. ;)

They also have a slotted headstock for the tenor version, and if you buy from MGM, he would set it up right.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLOWOUT-KALA-AC...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ceccfeb57

It's only 300 dollars, and if you really want electrics, have a local music store or someone you know install a MiSi pickup for you. I'm pretty sure the total would be around your budget, $425.

Good luck!

Yeah. I have seen that also on Musicguymic's page, but I was reading on the Kala site that the neck of that ukulele is flat.

I've used a flat necked ukulele before and didn't really like it.

Have you actually tried out the Kala Solid Acacia Tenor? Is the neck really flat?

Thanks.

Most of the ukulele's have flat fretboards, few of them actually have radiused. Most acoustic guitars have a radiused fretboard, and the only ukulele's I know with them are Ibanez.

Yes, it does make the ukulele seem like it has better features, but I don't think it's much of a difference. Almost all ukulele player's use regular ones, and I heard the radiused ones make it a little bit easier on your fingers when you stretch them out.

It's personal preference, but I recommend going to a nearby store and checking out the difference between them. It shouldn't stop you from selecting only a few ukulele's just cause of their fretboards. :eek:ld:

I thought I recently saw a thread on which makers radius their fretboards. I tried a search, but I suspect with the new software, the older posts aren't available to search yet.

As UCJ mentioned, not many makers do this, especially for production ukes. I think most ukes that fit your specs will be well above your price limit. That being said, I would guess that someone makes something that fits the bill for you. If you're willing to forgo the radius, your options will increase exponentially.

I have a Mya-Moe tenor on order. They are one company that radiuses all their fretboards. However, they are also above your price limit.

Dannn,

So you're practically saying that I will not be able to find much ukuleles that fit my specs within that price range?

Depressing..

Since the radiused fretboard on a uke is such a custom/rare feature, that's pretty much what I'm saying. However, I don't claim to know all the ukes that are currently for sale. Ask MGM (http://stores.ebay.com/Musicguymics-Room). If anyone knows, he will.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever played a uke that has a radiused fretboard? If so, what was it? And what did you like about it, or what didn't you like about the feel of the Kala with a flat board? Are you a guitar player, who is used to having a radius?

And don't be depressed. There are lots of lovely instruments out there. I'm sure you'll find one that makes you smile.

Yes I have played my cousins ukulele with a radiused fretboard but I do not recall what brand it is. I liked the overall feel of it because I played the guitar.

Do you know which ukuleles have a slotted headstock? because everytime I search for an ukulele with a slotted headstock, only the Kala Solid Acacia comes out.

I know that Chuck Moore makes slotted headstock ukes, but his are mostly custom.

Most slotted headstocks are found on customs, like Jake's, Dominator's or Aldrine.

You wont get much choices, maybe perhaps a couple other than the Kala Acacia tenor.

Top Bottom