aquila concert strings on soprano?

eculuke

Reaction score
I have a set of concert aquilas sitting around and my new applause soprano. Are the concerts and soprano string packs the same just ?

I believe concert strings are just longer. I would give them a shot. But I have been wrong in the past, so maybe wait until you get a definite answer from someone.

The Aquila concert strings are a little thicker than the soprano strings. But, they'll work just fine.

Aquila String

G-string Soprano .55mm Concert .57mm

C-string Soprano .91mm Concert .95mm

E-string Soprano .73mm Concert .77mm

A-string Soprano .60mm Concert .62mm

Google is your friend:eek:

Jude

Darn....looks like Im going to have to invest in some soprano strings

Not necessarily. There are some players who swear by concert strings on their sopranos. The slightly bigger strings will drive the top of the uke a bit harder, and might be a good choice during the uke's break-in period. I think the Applause may be quieter than a Flea or a Mainland, so the concert strings may help that.

I often string soprano Makala dolphins with Aquila concerts. No ill effects and a nice beefy sound.

I often string soprano Makala dolphins with Aquila concerts. No ill effects and a nice beefy sound.
:agree: Yes! I did the same on a Makala dolphin... wanted to upgrade the strings before giving it as a gift. I had some Aquila concerts handy, and they really sounded good. I played it a few days to stretch out the strings, and was very impressed.

–Lori

I have Aquila concert strings on my Brüko soprano for months now (gcea), sounds good and doesn´t harm the uke.

Ive done that its sounds fine its just they haven't stayed in tune very well. That is also probably due to the fact that it was a 30 dollar uke with terrible tuners and a missing saddle. :D just thought I would throw in my two sents know.

It's a little known fact that Stevie Ray Vaughn used tenor strings on his soprano uke and that surf legend Dick Dale actually used baritone strings on a soprano (which had a reinforced neck).

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks for your help on this topic! Ok, from what I read it seems ok, but I don't want to hurt my new "baby". I just got a sweet TV Pal soprano off ebay(sooo excited!), it came w/only 2 strings (with which it sounds great by the way:eek:) but I'm dying to really play it. I only have some aquila concerts laying around but I don't want to hurt the neck or anything, it being a vintage uke and all...you still think it's safe?

Cheers!:confused:

Aloha Eculuke,
If you ask different string manufactures you'll get a different answer and if you ask different ukulele companies you'd get the same answer....
I've tried them and it works and sounds fine for me, the concerts may have a thicker strings and little higher tension and shouldn't affect your uke.
Have Fun and "keep strumming them strings' Good Luck!!! MM Stan...

Last edited:
Aloha Kriquit,
Welcome to the UU and our forums too...You have an older plastic uke, I'd be careful because the concerts may have a higher tension string(thicker)
and may damage your neck....If you do, I'd pay attention to that....I suggest getting soprano strings for you...to be safe...Good Luck!! MM Stan..
Your aged plastic may be brittle too....

hey MM Stan,
Thanks for the welcome and answering my Q. I'm taking your advice, better safe than sorry, right? I just ordered a set of soprano strings. Can't wait for them to arrive!
Cheers!

Old thread but a great example of how when I google a Uke question I get pointed to various UU threads chock full of info!!!

I have a friend with a nice Oscar Schmitt (?) uke she doesn't play because it's got crappy strings on it that won't stay in tune. I offered to restring it for her since I have a bunch of extra Concert uke string sets but I wasn't sure that it was kosher to go Concert string/Soprano body. Seems like it will work just fine,. Thanks everyone!

Not sure if it is answered yet, but I assume it depends on manufacture, but concert strings are slightly larger diameter. But, don't mean they wont work. Depends on how ya like it. I have a soprano strings on one of my concerts, and really like the feel and sound they make on it.

Top Bottom