Strumming help! It sounds mad!!!

blonderocks

Reaction score
My strumming sounds all loud and mad and when I watch videos etc everyone elses seems all lovely and calm and 'clean'. I don't know if this is because of me (maybe heavy handed maybe lacking rhythm) OR because of my ukulele?

I do find strumming difficult like hitting all the strings, but I practice for freaking ages and it just never sounds right.

Sorry if this has been answered before! I did look, but not very far!

x x

How long have you been playing for? I've been playing for about 5 months, a lot more in the last month and I'm just finding now my strumming is slightly improving. I'm still not able to strum and sing a whole song with anything other than D U D U D U but it's getting better.

Ukulele magic! It happens when it happens and when you practice.

What finger(s) are you using to strum with and where are you strumming at? I usually use my forefinger (sometimes my thumb) and strum at or about the 16th-18th fret.

Some people say that music expresses what is in the musician's soul. Its not a bad thing. Go with it. Develop it.

ummmm well to answer all the above, I have been 'playing' for a week (lol impatient) I used to play violin so I'm not used to all this strumming business! I've been using my forefinger and sometimes thumb to strum, In regard to music what is expressing whats in a musicians soul LOLOL! That could very much be true! I am loud and all over the place.

Honestly it sounds like Jack Black playing the ukulele!

Thanks for your answers I figure practice makes perfect!

I'll let you know how it's coming along!

x x

(also, loving this forum, I've been lurking on here since I got my uke!)

My strumming sounds all loud and mad and when I watch videos etc everyone elses seems all lovely and calm and 'clean'. I don't know if this is because of me (maybe heavy handed maybe lacking rhythm) OR because of my ukulele?

I do find strumming difficult like hitting all the strings, but I practice for freaking ages and it just never sounds right.

Sorry if this has been answered before! I did look, but not very far!

x x

Perhaps a few drinks while playing will help to calm you down. Sounds like you are trying way too hard. The uke is a fun instrument, lighten up!!!

Some people say that music expresses what is in the musician's soul. Its not a bad thing. Go with it. Develop it.

I like that :)

In addition, practice, practice, practice!! Everyone learns at different speeds and you don't have to be amazing. I'm a beginner too. Also a big fan of beginners because they're so sincere.

Try holding the uke differently. Maybe sort of pressing it against your body with your arm and strumming around the 12th fret.
I prefer to my down strum with the thumb and up strum with my index finger. And I choose to either use my finger nail or skin depending on the sound I'm trying to achieve.

And try slowing it down to get a rhythm and speed it up later...no rush :)

Happy....strumming ;)

Record yourself (window sound recorder). You are probably not as bad as you think. Plus, it will show your progress, or where you need to improve.

Try a metronome, or play along with a youtube video or your favorite song to keep a good strum beat.

I was totally bad, but like everyone said practice, practice practice and YAY sounds millions better now!

Thanks People :)

x

Yeah I'm an ultra-beginner and I'm having loads of difficulty learning to strum! My two issues are:

1 - hitting all the strings. I'm not too bad if I'm strumming upwards, weirdly, but strumming downwards I'm averaging about two strings per strum! :)

2 - where to strum. Maybe I've got like freaky long arms but my uke has like 12 frets, I'm strumming at the 9th or 10th one, it feels really far up the neck to be strumming but I can't get it any lower. Someone above said about strumming at the 18th fret, seriously, do I have a really tiny uke??? (no sniggering at the back)

Yeah I'm an ultra-beginner and I'm having loads of difficulty learning to strum! My two issues are:

1 - hitting all the strings. I'm not too bad if I'm strumming upwards, weirdly, but strumming downwards I'm averaging about two strings per strum! :)

2 - where to strum. Maybe I've got like freaky long arms but my uke has like 12 frets, I'm strumming at the 9th or 10th one, it feels really far up the neck to be strumming but I can't get it any lower. Someone above said about strumming at the 18th fret, seriously, do I have a really tiny uke??? (no sniggering at the back)

18th fret would be on a tenor. Just keep trying and you'll get it.

Top Bottom