Which Solid Mahogany uke is good?

theobromaholic

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a second solid wood uke for my office (during down time). Okay, fine... I'm hooked :drool: and I need an excuse to get another tenor uke that will not break my wallet too much. I have just recently decided to invest in a solid koa tenor, so another solid koa will definitely be vetoed by the President/CEO/CFO of the household (wifey).

So far, my choices are:

1. Kala SMHT (but may also consider the Kala ASAC-T) - I like the style overall, but not too keen on the tortoise shell binding, but is also the cheaper of the set; will also be ordered through MGM

2. Lanikai LSM-T - This is a new one for me, and unfortunately not offered by MGM; about $10 more than the Kala SMHT, but without a case

3. Ohana TK-30/TK-30G - For about the same price as the Lanikai, this Ohana looks nice; MGM does not have the tenor version, only the concert and soprano (bummed)

4. Oscar Schmidt OU240SWK - This is probably the most expensive of this set (>$300), but it also looks mighty nice

As I mentioned earlier, this will sit mostly in my office, and will likely get some air during lunchtime. I heard that some of the laminate versions are nice, so I am also open to this. I think I've looked at the Kala KA-ST, Lanikai LU-21T or the ST, Oscar Schmidt OU4 Tenor, Ohana TK-20 (solid top, lam sides and back), and many others.

I apologize for the long post, but I am seriously getting dizzy with all of the choices. My first purchase was so easy (Kala KA-S), my second one (solid koa) was a lot more of a headache than the first, but nothing like this latest one.

I would appreciate any comments, whether it be from experience... or from those who are going through the same dilemma as myself... or from those who just like to post (I need a good laugh every now and then).

Thanks in advance.

-Theo

UPDATE:

I failed to mention that the reason I want solid wood is because one of my coworkers has a kamaka soprano and it sounds sweeeeet! Of course, I am not as skilled (or rich) as he is, so I definitely cannot rock the kamaka like he can.

Last edited:
Just to complicate matters...how about a Mainland mahogany tenor? I have a concert and honeybee soprano and love them both. http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=10&categoryId=3

Funny, because after the original post, I started to look into the UU forum and found lots of good comments about mainland ukes. The price is reasonable, and fits within the range that I am looking at. (Listen for the "Boom"... that's the sound of my head exploding)

+1 for a mainland. I love my mahogany mainland concert

I've only ever owned one uke, a Cordoba LaPlaya solid top mahogany tenor, so I can't really compare it to other ukes.

My background is in classical guitar and I own a couple of very nice handmade guitars. The latest offerings from one of these luthiers is going for $6K, so I'd like to think I can tell a quality instrument. :)

IMHO, the LaPlaya is very well made for a factory instrument, the action/setup were perfect out of the box, the intonation is excellent, the finish is flawless, there's not a rough fret edge anywhere, it has a nice (fairly loud) yet mellow tone, and it comes with a nice padded gigbag.

Amazon has it for $149 with free shipping.

The models you mentioned are more expensive, but if you're looking for a budget option just to keep at the office, I'd say this one is definitely worth considering, even if it's not that well known or popular.

Funny, because after the original post, I started to look into the UU forum and found lots of good comments about mainland ukes. The price is reasonable, and fits within the range that I am looking at. (Listen for the "Boom"... that's the sound of my head exploding)

Haha...I wondered what that noise was. :) Another big plus is the owner of Mainland Ukes is a member here (hoosierhiver) and he'll take good care of you. I don't think you'll find an unhappy Mainland owner here.

Another option is a Mele ukulele www.meleukulele.com I recommend these to everyone. I have one (solid koa) for sale to help fund a mahaghany purchase. If meles are to expensive I recommend mainlands next.

+2 for a mainland. I have the Mainland Classic Mahogany Tenor w/ built in Mi-Si pickup and It's beautiful :) I got the gloss finish and it's just amazing, the sound is bootyfull and some times I wish it was a woman ;3. Lol Mainland Ukes are good so long as you're not a stickler for woodgrain (as it doesn't always match but still looks beautiful) then you'll love mainland.

I've only ever owned one uke, a Cordoba LaPlaya solid top mahogany tenor, so I can't really compare it to other ukes.

My background is in classical guitar and I own a couple of very nice handmade guitars. The latest offerings from one of these luthiers is going for $6K, so I'd like to think I can tell a quality instrument. :)

IMHO, the LaPlaya is very well made for a factory instrument, the action/setup were perfect out of the box, the intonation is excellent, the finish is flawless, there's not a rough fret edge anywhere, it has a nice (fairly loud) yet mellow tone, and it comes with a nice padded gigbag.

Amazon has it for $149 with free shipping.

The models you mentioned are more expensive, but if you're looking for a budget option just to keep at the office, I'd say this one is definitely worth considering, even if it's not that well known or popular.

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at the La Playa, and it has its + values. I like that it comes with a gig bag, since I will be carrying it in and out of my office. At $150, I looked at the other options, and was able to convince myself that maybe I don't need the solid wood uke for my office.

So, now further research. Because of this, now I am looking at the Kala KA-ST (from MGM) and the Lanikai ST, based on a previous thread where someone was interested in choosing between Kala, Lanikai, or OS .

If I buy Lanikai, it will be through Amazon or some other site, since MGM doesn't seem to carry the line anymore. And initially I was going for Oscar Schmidt OU6 Tenor (also from Amazon) but folks seem to be hit-or-miss iwth OS.

My take-home message so far is "Buy MGM" More research... more questions.

Haha...I wondered what that noise was. :) Another big plus is the owner of Mainland Ukes is a member here (hoosierhiver) and he'll take good care of you. I don't think you'll find an unhappy Mainland owner here.

Nice. I'll search for him (or hopefully he'll run into this thread) and ask him some more questions. If I go for the solid wood, Mainland will definitely be on the "possible" list.

Another option is a Mele ukulele www.meleukulele.com I recommend these to everyone. I have one (solid koa) for sale to help fund a mahaghany purchase. If meles are to expensive I recommend mainlands next.

Those Meles sure look pretty. It is beyond my budget (for now), but I will look them up next time... (in a few months?!) HAHA!!

+2 for a mainland. I have the Mainland Classic Mahogany Tenor w/ built in Mi-Si pickup and It's beautiful :) I got the gloss finish and it's just amazing, the sound is bootyfull and some times I wish it was a woman ;3. Lol Mainland Ukes are good so long as you're not a stickler for woodgrain (as it doesn't always match but still looks beautiful) then you'll love mainland.

Are you playing your Mainland in your vids?! That looks nice, bro! So far, mainland is getting lots of votes tonight :)

Are you playing your Mainland in your vids?! That looks nice, bro! So far, mainland is getting lots of votes tonight :)

Lol :) that I am, thank you, and yes if you ask anyone here if a mainland is worth it for the money you'll get a resounding yes consistant quality ukes and the owner is nice enough that if there is a problem it'll get taken care of right away. Best customer service ever lol.

Another vote for Mainland here. I've got a mahogany concert, and love it.

after "agonizing" debate (seriously though) i finally ordered a solid mahogany tenor from mainland - it's scheduled to arrive on the 4th so i'll know more then! mike and tookta are both awesome.

So, now further research. Because of this, now I am looking at the Kala KA-ST (from MGM) and the Lanikai ST, based on a previous thread where someone was interested in choosing between Kala, Lanikai, or OS .

If I buy Lanikai, it will be through Amazon or some other site, since MGM doesn't seem to carry the line anymore.

I'll shamelessly point out I've got a Lanikai S-T for sale in the marketplace. It's the same price as the one from amazon, but it comes with a hard shell case, a strap, and 2 sets of strings for different tunings. Either way, goodluck!

I'll shamelessly point out I've got a Lanikai S-T for sale in the marketplace. It's the same price as the one from amazon, but it comes with a hard shell case, a strap, and 2 sets of strings for different tunings. Either way, goodluck!

@leftovermagic: Sorry, mate... I just scored a Lanikai ST through the neighborhood laundromat posting ($60 uke only, Aquilla Hi-G).

I'll keep my eyes open for you, and send interested buyers your way. Good luck!

after "agonizing" debate (seriously though) i finally ordered a solid mahogany tenor from mainland - it's scheduled to arrive on the 4th so i'll know more then! mike and tookta are both awesome.

Please keep us updated on your new "baby." I just recently purchased a new-to-me spruce-top (Lanikai) and depending on how things go, I may want to get a solid wood tenor in the near future. Mainland is now officially on the list.

Another vote for Mainland here. I've got a mahogany concert, and love it.

Thank you. Due to the overwhelming response for Mainland, it is now on my official list of "Ukes to consider" for my next UAS craving. I still have to do some more online research, but this is my list so far (with no particular order):

1. Lanikai LSM-T
2. Kala ASAC-T
3. Ohana TK-35G
4. Mainland Tenor - I like the mahogany over red cedar, but I am diggin' the mango (unavailable for now)

The Oscar Schmidt OU240SWK/OU245SWK is now off the list, since a few posters from different sites mentioned it is a bit heavier and the QC is spotty. Having said that, the OS is a pretty uke, and would like to test drive it if I can find one locally.

The OU240 is the best uke on the list!!!!! I have a OU220 and 240 (concert and tenor models)... They are high quality ukes and are set up better than any uke I'v e had.... They are not the cheap chinese Oscar Schmidts... These babies are made in Java .... They may feel heavy but they balance perfectly.....

Top Bottom