G String Tuning

mangorockfish

Reaction score
When you tune a G string with an eletronic tuner, high or low, when you pluck it will the G show up on the face of the tuner? I've never tuned a low G and was wondering if it would still tune to G like the high G.

If it's a chromatic tuner, sure, it'll show as a G no matter which octave it detects.

I've heard of uke-specific tuners, so not sure how they work (if there's a low/high G setting). I've always just stuck with chromatic. :)

I have used my chromatic tuner to tune a guitar, and it works just fine. It knows a G is a G no matter what octave it is. As the following table shows, all notes have a fixed frequency. It turns out that for a regular scaled instrument each higher octave of a note is just twice that notes frequency one octave below. Tuners are just fancy frequency counters. If I were designing software for a tuner, I would have a table of the notes from the lowest octave I expected. Then, I would divide each new note's frequency by each note's base frequency in turn, until I found one with no decimal remainder (easy to do with modern electronic chips). That would be the note it is.

http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html

My tuner has 3 modes: chromatic, guitar, and bass. It is designed to be so easy even a guitar player can use it (only kidding). On guitar mode instead of displaying the note it translates the note into the string number. I'm guessing a uke-specific tuner has something similar.

My Seiko Chromatic tuner displays a number for the octave, so high G tuning on a Uke shows up as G4. Its moderately useful I guess, but as someone else said a G is a G no matter what octave it is.

Top Bottom