D'addario Black strings

d'uke

Reaction score
hello all, ive recently purchased some d'addario black tenor strings today and i was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with them and their general opinions on them. They came with a wound aluminum c string and in my opinon sound great, a nice mellow tone to go well with my ovation tenor.

I prefer the J71 Pro Arte string set derived from their classical guitar strings, all clear nylon.

I have tried both the J71s and the blacks (J54?). The J71s are superior. More resonant and smoother. But the J71s are not as loud or bright as Aquila, which still remains my favourite.

Thats dissapointing. I was hoping they would be sweet. I hate wound strings personally so they are automatically out for me but i was at least hoping they would sound good. do you think if we put up a petition they would make them without the wound string? I just want different color strings. the plain clear ones are starting to bore me. (constantly improving on "bling" hahaha)

Thats dissapointing. I was hoping they would be sweet. I hate wound strings personally so they are automatically out for me but i was at least hoping they would sound good. do you think if we put up a petition they would make them without the wound string? I just want different color strings. the plain clear ones are starting to bore me. (constantly improving on "bling" hahaha)

Fremont Blacklines are a good choice. I loved the set I had.

I have the Hawaiian Style (black) D'addarios on my Kamaka Tenor... I like them, although I admit I will try something different next time just for comparison. My idea was i would have one tenor set up for a jazz/pop music sound (Savarez Strings), and the other set up for a more Hawaiian sound (Black D'Addarios). This plan worked out reasonably well. I guess my verdict is I like them, but not convinced they are the best for the sound I'm going for.

I also have a set of the black D'Addarios on my concert Kala. I don't like them and will be going back to Aquilas as soon as I get around to it.

Top Bottom