i have a major problem

Reaction score
umm ok so MY FAMILY HATES MY UKE!! :mad: and ya so umm....im loving it and it is sound ing great on my recordings but i dont know what to does can someone help pick one of these below options

1..i should retire my uke

2..i should just quit music in its entirety.....please noone say these first two lol as i FOR SURE would not quit music for anything lol

3..sell it

4..only play around myelf/ alone

5..just keep getting dissed about my ukulele

if you cant tell im kinda discouraged right now and thanks for reading my venting post lol

any other suggestions are greatly appreciated

oo yes and i have been told that it is not my playing that makes my whole family (including cousins and grandparents (this post really shows my age lol) and aunts and uncles ) want to continually diss me

i feel as though i should go off somewhere and cry like a man :(:p;...yes true men do cry..*anyways*

How about spend some money and buy either an acoustic/electric ukulele or electric ukulele which you could plug into headphones and play to yourself.

How about spend some money and buy either an acoustic/electric ukulele or electric ukulele which you could plug into headphones and play to yourself.

well yes i could but i sorda liked the acoustic sound better

but the acoustic electric is a good idea

I vote for option number 5. I get laughed at regularly but I don't care. Go for it and enjoy every minute of it.

Sukie

If you like playing, then you have no choice to continue. Play by yourself, but only because that's where you want to be, play in front of family, because, well they are family and the uke won't change that. If they laugh, then you are to be congratulated for bringing laughter into the world. If all else fails, follow the great paths that have been laid before you- write a super catchy three chord tune that somehow gets your feelings across, makes you famous and moves you into a giant mansion on the sea where you will have to speak to your family through the security system as you laugh at the irony of your situation.

Don't let them get you down. Play your ukulele 'till you heart's content...then play some more.

hmmm...all my cousins are around me at this moment....AND IMM PLAYING MY UKE!!!!!!! thanks for the encouragement guys...and gals.......it really helps :-D

my sister used to make fun of my ukulele non-stop...until I learned her favorite song. So I would like to add to your list of options a sixth choice: learn their favorite songs so they shut up, and then keep playing! :D

hmmm now wut songs do they like...

btw im actually from tennesse but am visiting family in south jersey..where exactly..anywhere near west caldwell....wait...you do mean new jersey right lol

Last edited:
If you like playing, then you have no choice to continue. If they laugh, then you are to be congratulated for bringing laughter into the world.

That's about the GREATEST advice I've ever heard. GO FOR IT!

I think Aldrine used to get dissed when he started playing uke too. And the cool kids wouldn't want to play with him. But he kept playing and got REALLY, REALLY good, and they all shut up and now he has a forum full of fans and a few CDs out. And now, he's top of the world and can tell off the haters.

I think santa had a reindeer that was teased too...but we know how that story ends.

And yes, I'm still in Christmas mood.

hmmmm i think ill waste a post...yayyy for christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My husband makes fun of my uke playing, but I know he doesn't mean it. He'll say why don't you play one of your "real" guitars instead of that thing.

Mostly I'd say just practice in another room where no one else can be bothered or complain.

I can only imagine that even Jimi Hendrix's parents yelled at him to keep that racket down.

My feelings are already covered - keep playing. But maybe you could do the above and get a Marshall amp to go along with it. Then you could say "Any flak and I'm plugging in!". :D

I play ukulele, guitar, saxophone, accordion, and flugelhorn. The ukulele is BY FAR the most social, friendly, non-interfering instrument. I can play really quietly, and can play and still interact with people around me. If people are complaining about your ukulele, then they have no idea how lucky they are. Go hire a tuba for a couple weeks. They'll be begging to get the ukulele back.

A thought...

One other thought..

My daughters made fun of me UNTIL..

They received their own Makala Dolphins for Christmas.

My 18 year old: "I get it."
My 21 Year old has been non-stop practicing, and traded me up for my Lanikai Concert, which I was pleased to do for her.

I realize this may not be an option, but sometimes mockery is actually jealousy...:music:

The notion of giving up an instrument - especially the uke - because of mockery from relatives is a horrible thought! Sadly, a lot of budding musicians in non-musical families go through this exact experience especially with instruments that sound like crap for the first couple of years. (french horn, violin, oboe ...)

Stick with it man! In time you'll get better and better and they'll learn to appreciate the uke's unique sound and you'll all be grateful you persevered.

Top Bottom