Strings????

xscopperx

Reaction score
I am looking into buying some tenor ukulele strings but no one around me carries them. This has shown me that dean martin isnt the only brand out there (only brand carried in my local guitar center). So my question is what is your favorite brand of strings and why?

Are you able to buy online? If so, i recommend Elderly Instruments or MGM through ebay. Aquila will be the brand most suggest. That, or Worths.

Where as i am not old enough to buy online my mother supports my musical "hobbies" and so she is normally cool with buying online and thanks for the help its greatly appreciated

what kind of uke you have? I recommend kala reds, the ko'olau golds brought out something in my Mele that the hilos or aquilas could. other than that I say get the worths.

well, most people will recommend Aquilas as their nylon-gut mix makes it a lot hard to get out of tune due to heat or cold. A lot of people will also say that they feel the strings cling to their finger better or have better response. Jake Shimabukuro uses pro-arte and you can find the specific set on the UU website so having both jake's and UU's endorsement should at the very least warrant trying them out. If you were going to ask me, I'm split between aquila's for slower music and ko'olau golds for speed playing.

Where as i am not old enough to buy online my mother supports my musical "hobbies" and so she is normally cool with buying online and thanks for the help its greatly appreciated
Just point out that you can get a bigger selection online than at any B&M stores and better prices, plus she doesn't have to take you to a store (assuming you can't drive yet, either). :)

Worth Clear Mediums. Although I always like the Aquilas for strumming. Get em both and decide for yourself. :)

I buy my strings from MusicGuyMic. He's a real ukulele hero 'round these parts. His string prices are the same as anyone else's but his shipping is cheeeeeeap and fast. He sells a sampler pack that includes Fremont Blacklines, Ko'olau Golds, Aquila Nylguts and Hilos if you're looking to experiment with different brands. Or you could just buy a set at a time and the shipping is generally less than a buck.

Top Bottom