Coconut Oil

Timbuck

Reaction score
Someone has given me some Coconut Oil..It's white like candle wax in cake form and very greasy..is it ok for fingerboards or polishing ukes or what ???? this a foreign substance to me.

I don't think I would use on your Uke. Pure lemon oil or boiled linseed oil for the fret board and just a good instrument polish for the rest. Doug

Linseed, walnut and sesame are all "traditional" fretboard care oils. Take a look at the Ukulele kit done thread regarding the effect of oiling rosewood, however.

Lemon oil is essential, i.e. it evaporates, so it is actually for cleaning the fretboard, not really for oiling it. And you have to be careful about getting lemon oil on the finish of your uke or guitar - or your table or woodwork or kitchen counter or floor... - as essential oils can dissolve all kinds of stuff like certain paints, lacquers, plastics, glues and so on.

Last edited:
I would be concerned that, like a lot of other food-type oils, it could go rancid over time, get sticky - I don't think it would be the right thing for this purpose.

I picked up a small bottle of Petros fingerboard oil. I've done about six fretboards now, and it's still full up to the neck.

post script: I guess that was a bit off topic considering the subject line--my only point is, the "real" stuff is pretty inexpensive, so why bother with experimental oils?

Last edited:
Just a little amendment to my note on lemon oil/essential oils: I discovered yesterday that there is actually essential coconut oil - it's the active ingredient in my wife's "au naturel" nail polish remover. I was removing some paint marks from a guitar that we're refinishing and looked at the label and there it is, green Thai coconut oil. This stuff will knock you out, destroy your brain cells, dissolve your nail polish and your finger nails, and needless to say will do a job on your fretboard and the rest of your instrument.

Obviously this is not the same stuff Timbuck is talking about - I suspect that is more what you would call coconut butter, although coconut oil is correct - though ambiguous.

Lemon oil is essential, i.e. it evaporates, so it is actually for cleaning the fretboard, not really for oiling it. And you have to be careful about getting lemon oil on the finish of your uke or guitar - or your table or woodwork or kitchen counter or floor... - as essential oils can dissolve all kinds of stuff like certain paints, lacquers, plastics, glues and so on.

Coconut oil might be great for your uke, but I'd do a little research before using it. I've never used it this way before, but it does tend to have about a million and one uses, and is great to have on hand for all kinds of things. I use mine for cooking, and it's also great for hair and skin care. It's one of those things where a little bit goes a long way. Coconut oil also have a very high melting point...it liquefies at about 76 degrees, so keep that in mind as well. It won't stay cake-like and hard once it's been sitting out in the warm weather.

Maybe try cutting some on your bandsaw. It might go well with that fish smell.

Coconut oil will go rancid over time and smell pretty bad but works great as a skin moisturizer, and also as a cooking oil. Hawaiians preferred kukui nut oil as a wood preservative with properties very similar to linseed oil. Had plenty coconut oil too but not used for this purpose.

Ken, if your still wondering what to do with this stuff after six months, try it in a Mai Tai.
It's disapeared? ...Mrs Timbuck say's She can't remember where it went but maybe it's in that cupboard under the Kitchen sink?... Thanks for the reminder ..I'll have to dig it out and get rid.

Top Bottom