Natures' Own Humidifier

rreffner

Reaction score
I found this while surfing the web. It is a cut & paste (not my own creation). I post it here for FYI and discussion.

Does my instrument need a humidifier? What kind should I use? How do I know if it is working? First of all let me say that people living on the upper gulf coast don't need humidifiers. Having said that, I will admit that with modern climate controls there are possibly many needs for a humidifier to keep your guitar, mandolin or what ever from drying out. But how do we know if we need one, or if it is working?

Here is one solution.

1. buy an apple (preferably a crisp one, a cooking apple).
2. cut it neatly into two halves.
3. eat one half.
4. place the other half in the "string compartment" of your case.

That's it, you are done except for looking at it periodically.

If you do NOT need a humidifier the apple half will mildew. So throw it away and try again in a few months. If you DO need a humidifier the apple half will slowly dry out over a period of months. It will release the proper amount of moisture for your instrument and make your case smell nice and fresh. In a typical New England winter with steam heat you may go through two or even three apple halves as they dry out and shrivel up. Down here one half will probably last all winter.

The only problems that I see for this solution are that there is no hype involved, and it is not particularly expensive.

Interesting. You forgot to mention another benefit. Eat the dried out apple halves when done! ;)

Don't know about having something that could mildew in with my uke.

Jack

You know, mice and rats can eat through uke cases to get to delicious apple! Food for thought.
–Lori

Don't try this with a banana.

You know, mice and rats can eat through uke cases to get to delicious apple! Food for thought.
–Lori

That reminds me of a memeber's story, he was doing cleaning found a roach or two inside ! But despite that, can anyone confirm that this is effective?

Last edited:
I once tried orange peels and they did mildew. Actually more like full-blown mold. I have also had the wood of stored instruments mildew. I think it's quite possible mold or mildew would spread to the wood of the uke itself, so I would stay away from it.

Of course you can get mildew without there being a food source, but I think it could happen faster that way. Sponges pick up mildew eventually too.

As far as the roach problem, back in college I picked up a recorder (flute) and started playing it, and a roach hiding inside ran out over my lips, YUK!

Bananas don't need humidifiers.

zzzzzzzzziiiiing!!!!

:D

I once tried orange peels and they did mildew. Actually more like full-blown mold. I have also had the wood of stored instruments mildew. I think it's quite possible mold or mildew would spread to the wood of the uke itself, so I would stay away from it.

Of course you can get mildew without there being a food source, but I think it could happen faster that way. Sponges pick up mildew eventually too.

As far as the roach problem, back in college I picked up a recorder (flute) and started playing it, and a roach hiding inside ran out over my lips, YUK!

:eek:

I think the original author means if the apple mildews, there is no need for a humidifier. The mildewed apple is to be removed.

If no mildew appears, then humidification is needed and it is ok to keep the apple slice in.

That reminds me of a memeber's story, he was doing cleaning found a roach or two inside ! But despite that, can anyone confirm that this is effective?

I haven't found a roach in one of my instrument cases since the '80s.

The old blues guitar players of years gone by used the apple trick also.... Some used a potato also.... but that's a different story.

Top Bottom