Bushman vs. Mainland

rreffner

Reaction score
I understand they are manufactured in the same facility. Is there any difference in construction between the two? Are they the same instrument labeled differently? Thanks.

I think the major difference is when they are set up by the Mainland and Bushman. Mainland has better services than Bushman therefor creating a better ukulele and experience, even though they are nearly identical in build.

Mike at Mainland used to be the set-up guy at Bushman, and he gives each Mainland uke a great setup with a bone nut & saddle and Aquila strings. The biggest differences are the high-quality setup (Mike and Tookta have probably set up thousands of ukes by now) and cosmetic (gorgeous rope purfling on the Mainlands).

There have been some issues reported on this board of people placing paid orders with Bushman that never got filled and ended months later with refunds. In all fairness, a few others have reported very positive transactions with Bushman as well. However, no such issues have been reported with Mainland. So caveat emptor.

If you can see my signature below, you'll note that my strong preference is for Mainland. Mike is a world-class guy.

I have to agree completely. I bought a Bushman Jenny Soprano. The set up was terrible, and took forever to get. I had to fix the action, file / fix frets. The bridge started to lift, I called and they said I should just fix it myself or I could ship it off to them and pay to fix it. Customer service really poor, very hard to contact anyone. Now I have it set up I really like it, and I learned how to set up a uke. I am happy with the uke, but will not deal with bushman again.

i also think (could be wrong) that Bushmans are more expensive? (which to me, seems nuts bearing in mind all I read (same basic gear as Mainland, poor setup, poor service etc)

Go Mainland

I thought I heard a couple years ago that Ohanas are made in the same factory as well. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

I can't confirm or deny but I would wager that some Ohanas are made in the same factory as some Mainlands. Mike has confirmed that the Honeybee ukes are made in a different factory than most of the Mainland line. I'm not sure about the boat-shaped uke. And there are some Ohanas that do look an awful lot like Mainlands and Jennies.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ohana-CONCERT-s...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a5622ef3c
http://cgi.ebay.com/Solid-ROSEWOOD-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4cecd06b99

My daughter has a Bushman soprano and it is set-up very well. I highly recommend Bushman to a friend years later. Hers was set-up just fine, but they ordered a hard case, and after going back and forth for a few months gave up getting the order filled. Bushman's are more expensive and the geared tuners are an upgrade, but they were offering them for free for a bit. Ohana's can also have high set-ups.

I just ordered a Mainland and intend to order more, if this one is as good as I expect it to be. I emailed back and forth a few time s to Mike at Mainland and the service was great. I also emailed and talked several time to Mike at Uke republic ad ordered from him, total stand up guy and TONS of patient.

My daughter has a Bushman soprano and it is set-up very well. I highly recommend Bushman to a friend years later. Hers was set-up just fine, but they ordered a hard case, and after going back and forth for a few months gave up getting the order filled. Bushman's are more expensive and the geared tuners are an upgrade, but they were offering them for free for a bit. Ohana's can also have high set-ups.

I just ordered a Mainland and intend to order more, if this one is as good as I expect it to be. I emailed back and forth a few time s to Mike at Mainland and the service was great. I also emailed and talked several time to Mike at Uke republic ad ordered from him, total stand up guy and TONS of patient.

There's the whole key to me. When you buy Mainland, you don't just get a uke; you get Mike (HoosierHiver) and Tookta too. They honestly want you to be happy long after the sale is complete. You haven't bought a uke, you've joined a family.

I own a Bushman Jenny Tenor w/ cutaway and also a Bushman pineapple. The Jenny I bought new and it took forever to get. Communication wasn't the easiest either, I'd email asking when I could expect it, and then never get a reply and I'd have to call and he seemed decent enough on the phone. The quality of the wood, etc. seem to be fine. The set-up was decent enough, but it doesn't stay in tune as well as my cheap-o Kala or Bushman pineapple.

There's the whole key to me. When you buy Mainland, you don't just get a uke; you get Mike (HoosierHiver) and Tookta too. They honestly want you to be happy long after the sale is complete. You haven't bought a uke, you've joined a family.

Well when you buy a Bushman, you've joined a family too.

You know, one of those families where Dad skips town for weeks and never calls...

:biglaugh:

JJ

Mike at Mainland used to be the set-up guy at Bushman

So what you are saying is that my 2005 Bushman is actually a Mainland in disguise?

Just a bit of news. John from Bushman called me and said that he is back on track and catching up. Also he said that the Jenny series is now brand new and made ina different place than Mainlands. I am hoping that soon I will have one of the new Jennys and I will post a review and my thoughts when I get it.

I hear Mini Coopers and BMW's are built in the same plant too. I don't think I'd be mistaking one for the other though.

It's quite common in many industries to have multiple brands built in the same facilities. Usually though, each has it's own stock, supplies, designs, tooling, etc...

I hear Mini Coopers and BMW's are built in the same plant too. I don't think I'd be mistaking one for the other though.

It's quite common in many industries to have multiple brands built in the same facilities. Usually though, each has it's own stock, supplies, designs, tooling, etc...

Have you DRIVEN a Mini Cooper? They are a BLAST! I am not sure they are made in the same factory as BMWs, unless BMW has a UK factory. But they ARE designed and engineered by BMW, and you can tell it, imo.

Just a bit of news. John from Bushman called me and said that he is back on track and catching up. Also he said that the Jenny series is now brand new and made ina different place than Mainlands. I am hoping that soon I will have one of the new Jennys and I will post a review and my thoughts when I get it.

I hope that's all true. If the ukes are now different and John is getting back on track that can only be good for everyone. Healthy competition between Bushman and Mainland will be good for both brands and ultimately for us, the consumers. There is room in Nashville, Indiana for two great uke companies. I'd like to see that happen.

And if Bushman is getting their ukes from a different manufacturer now I'm anxious to see how they stack up.

Have a Mainland Tenor and my daughter a Bushman Jenny Soprano. Both are stellar. I think the Bushman has a cleaner build. I hope that Bushman get is together... I dig the Uke being called Jenny!

Top Bottom