Re-Stringing Question

WreckerGirl

UU+
Reaction score
I restrung my ukulele with D'Addario strings following the directions in UKE minute 5. I tightened the strings but noticed that each string has gone around the tuning peg just twice. With the previous strings, black that came with the Uke 2 years ago, each was wrapped around the tuning pegs several times. Have I done something wrong? Is there a proper number of loops around the peg? On my first attempt, I snapped the G string so I may be gun-shy about overtightening. The Uke is in tune. I have not yet cut the ends of the strings in case I should re-string it.

What size uke and what strings? Just maybe you got the wrong strings for your size uke, just a thought. I have a lot of string left at the top to go several times aroung the peg before trimming.

Concert uke and D'Addario Pro-Arte Concert Ukulele strings. Do you wrap your extra string around the peg by hand (after tightening the string), or, does the extra string get wrapped around as you turn the peg to tighten the string?

It really depends on the strings and how "stretchy" they are. When I use Aquilas...I usually get 4 or 5 wraps around the peg (except for the C string), but when I use Martin clear flurocarbons...I only get 2 or 3. I almost always put the first wrap by hand on the C string. There's no rule as to how many wraps you should have...enough that the string does not slip off the peg. Good luck.

Last edited:
I usually like to have 3-5 wraps around the post and I'll trim the string leaving about a quarter inch protruding from the peg hole. As far as the how many wraps around, there is no hard and fast rule as long as the strings stay in tune and don't slip. I've never snapped a string during restringing. If you can find out where it broke at, check that area for a burr or something that would cause it to break.

The number of wraps you get depends in large part upon how slack the string is when you begin winding it on the peg. The looser the string, the more wraps you get, the tighter, the fewer. Also, the thinner strings tend to stretch more as you tighten and tune them, also increasing the number of wraps.

If I had two to three wraps and the string wasn't slipping off the peg, I'd be perfectly happy.

With the worth clears I use, I only get 2-3 wraps for the low G and maybe 5-7 for the A. This has to do with density and how fast the string pulls up to tension, etc... (technical stuff that nobody really worries about). My personal rule is: do enough wraps to go once over and under the loose end. Beyond that I try and have as few wraps a possible. Because the more wraps you have, the longer it will take to stretch out and tuning will be more of a pain.

Top Bottom