Boat Paddle Ukulele order

Nuprin

Reaction score
I decided to cave in and buy a Boat Paddle Ukulele Co. M-Style concert. I've been talking with them for the past few weeks and we've worked out the following:

M-Style concert:
Spruce top, AAA walnut back & sides
Maple binding with BWB purfling
Custom fret markers

I sent out the deposit today and I cannot wait! Looking forward to getting updates as my uke gets built. Now I just have to suffer through the 3-4 month wait period!!!

Assuming no one minds, I'll keep updating this with pics and updates as I get them throughout the building process.

I've read a few reviews and they all are very positive. Also heard some sound clips and they sound great. Anyone out there have any experience with their M-Style ukes?

IF you dont mind me asking, how much did that set you back? they look like great ukuleles I guess I'll just have to put it on the list........which is ever growing.

IF you dont mind me asking, how much did that set you back? they look like great ukuleles I guess I'll just have to put it on the list........which is ever growing.

$425 for the uke. $75 to upgrade to AAA walnut instead of AA walnut. $75 for the maple binding. $20 for the BWB purfling. $45 for the custom fret markers. I'm also going to get a hard case which will add $70. So, final tally is $710.

3-4 months for a custom? That is like next day express service in the world of custom ukes... surely to be worth the wait :)

Yeah, I was really happy to hear the wait was only 3-4 months. Still going to seem like a long time though!

$425 for the uke. $75 to upgrade to AAA walnut instead of AA walnut. $75 for the maple binding. $20 for the BWB purfling. $45 for the custom fret markers. I'm also going to get a hard case which will add $70. So, final tally is $710.

That sounds really wonderful! I look forward to the photos of the work in progress. What kind of custom fret markers will you have? It seems like reasonable pricing too. Hey, those 3-4 months will fly by, you'll see.
–Lori

Assuming no one minds, I'll keep updating this with pics and updates as I get them throughout the building process.
Not only do we not mind, I think it's essential that you share the progress as you get it!

That sounds really wonderful! I look forward to the photos of the work in progress. What kind of custom fret markers will you have? It seems like reasonable pricing too. Hey, those 3-4 months will fly by, you'll see.
–Lori

In a review for another of their ukes (not M-Style), Jerry (of Boat Paddle Ukulele Co.) suggested a fret marker which, in the end, was not used. I saw a picture of it and liked the looks and uniqueness of it so I'm going to use that design.

Attachments

• fretboard..jpg
    fretboard..jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Adding a 12 coat lacquer finish which will add $150 to the price and 3 weeks to the wait.

I have been thinking about one of their ukes for a while now... look lovely. Can't wait to see pix!
Will probably get me ordering one!
Cheers,
Skottoman

Congrats!

Congrats! I also put an order with Jerry for an M-style Boat Paddle uke, a soprano, about three weeks ago, in a similar sytle to yours but with less options. (Walnut back & sides, spruce top, rosewood head plate, ebony fretboard and bridge, geared tuners, tru-oil finish). I didn't opt for the binding or purfling; trying to keep the price under budget. :D

Originally, I was leaning towards a redwood top, but Jerry suggested that spruce would be better for strength and sound. The spruce top should look nearly as good. Yes, there is a 3-4 month wait, but it is going.

$425 sound almost too good to be true for a custom instrument. I love that M design and am SOOOOOO interested. What does the $425 include?

The base price for a M style soprano is $375. This includes a choice of all mahogany, or walnut with a spruce top, and rosewood fingerboard. I assume base level is the same for concert and tenors. Of course, concerts and tenors have a slightly higher base price.

Options above the base include wood binding, figured koa, figure mahogany, special order wood, inlays, perfling,...

Yes, it is a really good deal. I have a BP tenor, I picked up used; the workmanship is amazing. That is why I decided to have one made.

$425 sound almost too good to be true for a custom instrument. I love that M design and am SOOOOOO interested. What does the $425 include?

Doc J nailed it. All mahogany or a spruce top/walnut back & sides with rosewood fretboard. $425 is the base price for a no-frills, satin concert. Higher grade woods are extra (Jerry quoted me $75 for AAA walnut, $100 for premium mahogany or $150 for premium koa). Binding was an extra $75 for either walnut or maple (I chose maple so it would stand out from the walnut sides). BWB purfling was $20. Custom fret markers are extra as well. A lacquer finish is also extra ($150). Amazing price for a great looking uke but the extras can start to add up. Either way, I'm really excited about this and am pleased with the price for my first custom uke.

I don't have the M Series. I have a soprano Kayak Boat Paddle which Jerry finished for me last April. I have numerous discussions with him about what I wanted and the sound I was looking for before building. What he produced was beyond my expectations. I wanted a warm tone with a lot of volume and sustain. The cedar top I got really delivers. I can cough at mine from a foot away and you can hear the strings play. (That's not an exaggeration.) His creations are not just well built, they're well engineered.

If you're planning on putting a pickup in it, I'd advise getting the MiSi that Jerry sells and have him go ahead and install it. You can't go wrong with that pickup and preamp.

I ordered the TrueOil finish to keep sustain at max. I have picked up some scratches and nicks in the soft wood as a result of choosing a finish so thin. But I can't say I'd change it if I had it to do all over again. The sound is great.

Jerry's time estimate for me was 4 months, which he delivered on. Don't expect a ton of photos as your uke is built. I received just one late in the process before the finish was put on. It was nice to get it and realize my uke was about 3 weeks from arriving. I know the wait is killing you, but I bet you'll feel it was worth it when you get your M.

Oooohhhh, so pretty. Did VV like her present? How did the end result sound?

She did! It's a gorgeous piece. She did have to send it back to get the neck slimmed down though.

Quick update on this. Jerry sent me an email saying there were a number of builds before mine and he'll probably get started on mine in about a month (mine is in the same batch as another M-Style). The build will take about 5 days and then another 3 weeks for the gloss finish so, assuming everything goes as planned, I'll have it in about 2 months. He also offered me an upgrade in the AAA walnut (which I had originally selected) to AAAA claro walnut. He sent me a picture of the AAAA claro walnut and I added it on for an extra $35. I attached the picture he sent...just makes me even more excited!

Attachments

• 4a claro walnut..jpg
    4a claro walnut..jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Top Bottom