Bought a saw

luvzmocha

Reaction score
Craigslist for $15.00 and he was only five minutes from the house. After watching Timbuck cut slots I new I had to find a new way!

Its an old Sprunger Model E. Made sometime in the fifties. It is in need of a belt and I was wondering if anyone has tried the V-link belts?

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2020051/Power-Twist-Link-Belt.aspx

Are they all they are cracked up to be?

Thanks in advance,

George

Attachments

• IMG00042.jpg
    IMG00042.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 71
They're those v-belts with the grooves on the inside. They grab better and last longer than the ungrooved belts.

That table Saw is a great find...One of my hobbies is restoring old machines...A good service and paint job will make that machine into a far better machine than the cheap aluminium jobs that are produced these days..."solid cast iron" you can't beat it.

Magnetic Feather Boards???....I had no idea what you were talking about??...So i did a "Google" job..and found out it's a method of clamping things to the table with magnets...I've been doing that for years, especially on the CNC router machines with "Neomidium magnets" to hold down workpieces....You are right, The cast iron table is ideal for this kind of method...And Note *** Because it is "Cast iron"...almost no residual magnatism remains in the material afterwards.

Last edited:
I 've used those link belts on my wood lathes. It was much easier split the belt and thread it around the spindle pulleys and then re-join it, rather than tearing the whole headstock apart just to get the belt on. Also used it for shop made machines like buffers and sharpeners so you can make the belt any length you need it to be.
Just wondering, does that saw's arbor fit the fretting sawblade? Some of those old school saws had odd arbor sizes.

Alan

Timbuck,

I could see how restoring old machines could be addictive. I completely took it apart, and gave her a good cleaning. Went to the bearing house with the old bearings and got the replacements for $7.00 a piece.

Funaddict,

The motor base swivels, so to change the belt, you only have to lift the motor to replace it. As far as arbor size goes, it is a standard 5/8 shaft. I first checked that... then plugged it in to see if the motor ran. What I like the most is the small footprint. A close second that it was manufactured in a town of my home state.

wow, i misread the title as "fought a saw", all i could think was "NOOO dont do it!!!"

I'm on the boat with old machines. When our former neighbors moved out of the bay next to us, they had a few tools I had my eye on. Of the few they were selling or giving away, I asked too late and missed out. The machine I wanted the most was a really old drill press. I don't know the manufacturer, but the thing was rock solid. A lot of new machines are built with the idea of good engineering, which I think is great. Unfortunately, most of the time, the quality of build isn't up to par. I do my research before buying any moderate to high priced item and the table saw I owned before my SawStop was a Powermatic 66. A lot of the cabinet guys had good reviews, but I never was completely satisfied with it. While it had decent power and heavy construction, the trunion was horrible. A prime example of good engineering built crappy. I spent a lot of time fixing the trunion and it finally got to a point where it was beyond my ability to repair. I've found that nothing beats big motors and heavy construction. They will stand the test of time and abuse that most shop owners subject their machines to.

Regarding the "small foot print" that was mentioned earlier, a good tip for those of you with small shops is to consider putting wheels on your machines. Except for my drill press, every piece of equipment I have is on wheels, including one work surface and my shop chairs. The wheels have brakes on them of course. The table saw is one of those tools that sees only occassional use and is pushed out of the way when idle. Makes sweeping up easier as well.
Speaking of table saws, I got a Craftsman as a high school graduation present to myself almost 40 years ago. Ten years ago it was completely submerged by four feet of flood waters. After cleaning it up and lubricating it still runs as strong as ever. Good tools never die.
Happy new year everyone.

Thanks for the tip Mr. Moore. This saw is very heavy. It also has 5 legs. I would imagine the 5th was intended for stability. I've had a lot of fun the past few days!

Great saw - wouldn't get any significant use in my workshop because it lacks a riving knife... oh I forgot, most Americans use table saws unguarded and live with kick-back :)

Top Bottom