Strings slipping around!

Valerie

Reaction score
I just got a new uke (yay me!)

But I've one major complaint about it. The a string is super loose. In it's slot on the nut it wiggles back and forth making horrible buzzing noises. I can fix this one of three ways: by placing a finger on the string on the headstock- near the nut (almost as if I'm fretting an open string... if that makes sense.) If I fret anywhere on the instrument (hard) or if I wind the string the opposite way on the tuner.

I've opted for number three, but I still find the string slipping a bit- not only at the nut but also at the bridge (which is unslotted)

I had the factory strings on and switched to worths and at first thought it was the worths just being too skinny. So I switched back to the factory (much much thicker diameter) but the problem was the same.

Do you think that if I got some tubing (either thin plastic or rubber type material) and placed that in the slot at the nut and on the bridge that it might help the string fit a bit better? I've seen such done for the E string (the skinniest one) of a violin.

If so, any idea where I could pick something like that up? I'm tempted to call the local violin luther.

Yeah i have a buzzing problem too. I just put new strings on my uke and now it buzzes when I play the E and A strings.

grrr its annoying.

can anyone help?

(im needy)

:D

Your best bet would be to probably take it to a luthier...

BUT, I've heard of people filling the nut slot with wood glue (or some combination of wood glue and sawdust) and filing out a slot for the string. If you plan on doing this you should pick up a set of files from a place that specializes in propane accessories...they have a set that are perfect for filing string slots for the uke. Keep in mind, this is a TEMPORARY solution and you'll have to redo it periodically

As far as the string slipping at the saddle, you might be able to pop a shim under the saddle to raise it up a little bit and that might help. Also, if you get creative with your knot tying, you might be able to figure out something that'll give the string enough of a downward angle to lay nicely on the saddle.

Obviously the shim under the saddle idea is likely to effect the sound of your uke...so again, your best bet may be to just take it to a luthier. That way you won't have to worry about action or intonation getting thrown out of wack.

Good luck! What kind of uke is it btw?

It's a Lanikai LFM concert uke and it has a lifetime warranty. I have been debating returning it for repair. The thing is that it's such a minor problem that I don't want to go through the hassel of shipping it out (I don't really have the funds to ship it anyways), or even just convincing the manufacture it's a problem.

That said: maybe I'm just a n00b. Is this a pretty problem? Or am I right in assuming that it's not worth the hassel to get it fixed.

I agree with Keoni and Seeso. I have two ukes that are in need of a new nut, which I simply haven't got around to replacing yet, but in the meantime, I just looped a small piece of paper around the string where it passes thru the nut slot, and that makes them playable again, but a little funny looking until I get around to correcting it properly.

While I'm all about having a manufacturer back up their product by sending it back for correction, I could understand why you would want to avoid shipping off the uke you JUST got to get it fixed. I mean, this is the critical bonding period, yeah? If you're a DIY type, and have a couple of small files, you could just buy a nut blank and make it the way you want it. I know that ukuleleworld.com sells these, and even some pre-slotted nuts as well (see their 'parts' section). If you're willing, you could get a nut delivered for about the same as shipping the uke back to Lanikai/Hohner and you don't go without your strummin' fix.

Just a couple thoughts -- have fun!

Top Bottom