Koaloha Ukulele website prices outdated.

MGM

Reaction score
I was just noticing that the prices on the Koaloha Website are last years prices and do not show the increase from early this fall....Nice layout on their website and i reall y like the info and news stories

Do you know what the new prices are now?

I'm assuming the Tenor is now around $970-$980 (up from $950), where it should be to be in line with Kanilea/Kamaka?

Do you know what the new prices are now?

I'm assuming the Tenor is now around $970-$980 (up from $950), where it should be to be in line with Kanilea/Kamaka?

brian told me there would be an increase and your estimate sounds right. But I can not remember. The increase was b/c of the rising cost of koa.

Ksn-00 560.00
ksm-00 550.00
ksm-01 550.00
ksm-02 680.00
kcm-00 780.00
kcm-02 930.00
ktm-00 1000.00
ktm-05 1080.00
ksm-10 520.00
kcm-10 740.00
ktm-06 1080.00
pineapple sunday 1500.00
concert sceptre 900.00
tenor sceptre 1200.00
ebony tenor sceptre 5000.00

ktm-00 1000.00
pineapple sunday 1500.00

I see the PS hasn't changed in price. That's good news. I also like that the concert and soprano are still substantially cheaper than the Kamakas.

But the suprising move here is Alan (I'm assuming the marketing master is in charge of this) pricing their tenor above Kamaka and Kanilea. Unless Kamaka and Kanilea also plan to raise prices for 2010, I think this is a bold move. My prediction is that Kanilea will not raise prices in 2010 since they already raised them somewhat recently (I think the tenor price went from about 920 to 970.) But I can see Kamaka raising their prices since they've been at 980 for the tenor for quite a while now.

The thing is that, although I love KoAloha and support their product 100%, I don't know how wise it is to price the product above the percieved "industry leader". Granted, IMO, KoAloha should have been charging 970 (just under Kamaka prices) for their tenors instead of 950 for the past two years, since when you're shopping in that price range, you're shopping on featues not price. But with theprice breaking into 4 figures AND the are charging more than Kamaka, I think there's a psychological effect. Same reason why $19.95 is different from $20.00. But then again, KoAloha can sell every uke they make, so assuming that demand isn't extremely elastic (which I don't think it is), they're fine charging the four figures. I'm just suprised.

I don't own a KoAloha tenor yet, and think I might want to scramble to get one before the price increase...

I see the PS hasn't changed in price. That's good news. I also like that the concert and soprano are still substantially cheaper than the Kamakas.

But the suprising move here is Alan (I'm assuming the marketing master is in charge of this) pricing their tenor above Kamaka and Kanilea. Unless Kamaka and Kanilea also plan to raise prices for 2010, I think this is a bold move. My prediction is that Kanilea will not raise prices in 2010 since they already raised them somewhat recently (I think the tenor price went from about 920 to 970.) But I can see Kamaka raising their prices since they've been at 980 for the tenor for quite a while now.

The thing is that, although I love KoAloha and support their product 100%, I don't know how wise it is to price the product above the percieved "industry leader". Granted, IMO, KoAloha should have been charging 970 (just under Kamaka prices) for their tenors instead of 950 for the past two years, since when you're shopping in that price range, you're shopping on featues not price. But with theprice breaking into 4 figures AND the are charging more than Kamaka, I think there's a psychological effect. Same reason why $19.95 is different from $20.00. But then again, KoAloha can sell every uke they make, so assuming that demand isn't extremely elastic (which I don't think it is), they're fine charging the four figures. I'm just suprised.

I don't own a KoAloha tenor yet, and think I might want to scramble to get one before the price increase...

Jon,

I don't think they'll have an issue with a drop in demand with their price increases. Their tenors are no where to be found (at least on the mainland.) There are Kamaka and Kanilea tenors in every store I go to but there are no KoAloha tenors in stock. Island Legends in Torrance has been waiting months for its tenors.

FYI, they had a tenor on their second wall with a bowtie bridge and active pick up. I didn't ask how much it was out of fear I would buy it!!! I want to see what the rest of Pops' Signature Series looks like before aquiring more ukes. He has four more coming out so I'll have to hold off for awhile.

Jon,

I don't think they'll have an issue with a drop in demand with their price increases. Their tenors are no where to be found (at least on the mainland.) There are Kamaka and Kanilea tenors in every store I go to but there are no KoAloha tenors in stock. Island Legends in Torrance has been waiting months for its tenors.

FYI, they had a tenor on their second wall with a bowtie bridge and active pick up. I didn't ask how much it was out of fear I would buy it!!! I want to see what the rest of Pops' Signature Series looks like before aquiring more ukes. He has four more coming out so I'll have to hold off for awhile.

Oh yeah, I don't really think their demand will suffer at all. I'm really just more suprised at how bold the move is. To me it says, "yeah we can charge more than the direct competition, b/c we add more value." And damn straight they do.

And interresssting...I was about to say that the KoAloha shortage might just be a Mainland thing, but now that I think of it, there were no KoAlohas a Easy Music Center last week either (I wanted to play one in walking distance from home)...however they did have Kamakas and Kanileas on the shelf.

As for that Tenor on the wall, it sounds hot. I wonder if anyone at the factory could use a extra kidney that I don't really need...

I was just noticing that the prices on the Koaloha Website are last years prices and do not show the increase from early this fall....Nice layout on their website and i reall y like the info and news stories

Looks like the Koaloha concert had the largest increase. Mine was made in October, ordered and received from you in November. Love it! Thank you for your great service, fast delivery, excellent communication. Best wishes for a Happy New Year.

I guess I'm double lucky. I bought the longneck Pineapple Soprano from MGM two days before Christmas, don't know what the new price will be as it's a special order item. And then.....last night I won a very minty looking KCM-00 Concert on ebay. I've been very happy with my Pono's but after reading all the good words about the KoAlohas here on UU I thought I'd try one. Then two............... But that all. Really. This year anyway.

Jude

Oh yeah, I don't really think their demand will suffer at all. I'm really just more suprised at how bold the move is. To me it says, "yeah we can charge more than the direct competition, b/c we add more value." And damn straight they do.

And interresssting...I was about to say that the KoAloha shortage might just be a Mainland thing, but now that I think of it, there were no KoAlohas a Easy Music Center last week either (I wanted to play one in walking distance from home)...however they did have Kamakas and Kanileas on the shelf.

As for that Tenor on the wall, it sounds hot. I wonder if anyone at the factory could use a extra kidney that I don't really need...

Shoot, a kidney would get you a tenor, PS and another Sceptre! Pops said that Paul's custom build list is now up to THREE years from two.

Actually, when I think about it more, I would gladly pay an extra 5% for the type of warranty that KoAloha gives. How many companies give lifetime warranties on their products? Especially wood based products that are subject to splitting. Any uke I know of would need some type of repair every 10-15 years. That's $100-$300 down the road that you would save.

Top Bottom