Sponge Bob Ukulele

Dannn

Reaction score
I was just at Toys R Us getting some gifts for friends of ours. We walked by the "instrument" section, and I thought I'd take a look at what they had. I was a little surprised to see a ukulele. A Sponge Bob ukulele, no less. There was one half way out of its box, so I figured I'd take it the rest of the way out to see how awesome it was.

The awesomeness begins and ends with the picture of Sponge Bob painted on the uke. It looks great. From there, everything else was a letdown. The box claimed "select hardwood body." With the fine paint job, I wasn't able to really inspect the wood, other than to see that it was thick and rough-cut around the sound hole. The strings were so loose it was obvious that it had never been tuned. I pulled out my iphone (tuner) and started tuning. I got the g and c strings tuned, and it was starting to sound remarkably like an actual ukulele.

Its sad life ended while I was tuning the e string. The poor bridge had done all it could do, and it surrendered with a little "pop," glue, screws (!) and all. The bridge no longer attached to the body, I quickly stuffed it back into the box. Fortunately for anyone considering purchasing one of these ukes, the bridge is clearly visible when it is in the box.

If anyone would like to purchase one of these fine instruments, they are available online from Toys R Us. It will only set you back $25. Don't forget to check out the glowing reviews. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3150739

The comments about dissapointed kids on Christmas morning when their uke fell apart are heartbreaking! I bought a cheap uke at a novelty shop to decorate my store and tried to tune it and I could hear the brindge creeking, so I just left the strings loose and use it "for looks"! The paint job is cute though! Maybe someone can buy a cheap Makala and just paint it to look like Sponge Bob!

That was a funny story.

All that, and the website says "Limit of 5 per customer!" :rofl:

I think every holiday season or so one of these Spongebob ukes pops up and fills us all with mild disappoint (although expected) that they're not top of the line. :D

Top Bottom