Report from the Field: Ohana CK35-L; SK50-MG; TK-20

pdxuke

Reaction score
Friends:

I had the opportunity to spend some time playing 3 Ohana ukes today, and thought I'd report.

Soprano: The SK 50-MG
OHM-SK50MG_f_sm.jpg

This was a very attractive sounding instrument. I was impressed that it stayed reasonably well in tune up the fretboard with my clumsy playing. Very pleasing to handle. Mellow sound. Surprised to hear the sides and back are laminate (?); very light weight and attractive. Shop price was $225. No one else seems to have these online right now. Who owns one? Are you pleased?

Concert with Tenor Length Neck: CK35-L

OHM-ck35l-f_sm.jpg

I really liked this. A lot. All mahogany. Stayed in lovely tune all the way up neck. I learned something about myself playing it. I thought I didn't like a concert size. But what I didn't like was my Lanikai LU 21c (fortunately my daughter LOVES it, so she traded me for her Christmas Blue Dolphin!) Because I LOVED playing this instrument. No intonation problems, great action, a real pleasure to play. This gets me thinking that I need to add a concert to the stable. It just needs to be one that fits me (Doh!) Shop price on this was $275 with gig bag. Can't find it online in the usual places. Anybody here own one?

The Tenor: TK-20
OHM-tk20-f_sm.jpg

I've never played a tenor. This had stock GHS strings with the metal (?) c string. I was pleasantly surprised. It was fun to play! It sounded great! The strings stayed in tune! It still sounded like a uke and not a guitar!

(Where do I get my ideas from? I thought tenors sounded like guitars!:wallbash:)

So I'm going to have to someday add a tenor, too! Anybody here own the TK20?

So, your author, yours truly, this post whore who is, ridiculously now a senior member of this forum (the only thing senior about me around here is my age) has a lot to learn, especially about what he likes to play!

Expect posts asking for comparisons of Ohana and Kala concerts!

(I love the ukulele!)

Over and out!

pdxuke

As a guitar player of over 30 years I can tell you in no uncertain terms that a tenor ukulele sounds NOTHING like a guitar. . . just as good, but different.

pdxuke

As a guitar player of over 30 years I can tell you in no uncertain terms that a tenor ukulele sounds NOTHING like a guitar. . . just as good, but different.

Scottie, I should know better. I have a Martin 000-18 and should be able to tell the difference between that and a Tenor Uke. Now I know.. Doh!:wallbash: I think I thought that because I had heard that so many guitar players enjoy playing the tenor...

I just got a tenor 'cause I knew I was going to be fingerstylin' and it seemed like a logical place to start. Now that I'm getting the Collings tenor, perhaps I'll try a concert next.

Top Bottom