Faulty strings

Milla

Reaction score
So I just put a brand new set of brown worths on my 6 string uke. The c strings were octaved and I put the low one on first. When trying to put the high string on it snapped a full step above the low c. So Thinking my low c wasn't low enough I tried to tune it an octave lower... no dice too loose. So I figured I would tune it up slower this time. Same spot and another snap. Now I wouldn't be mad, but when I went to put another string on I noticed when the earlier 2 snapped they scratched the top just below the saddle. Brand new uke with a scratch :/ I will be contacting worth asap with some grievances. I was furious when I saw what the string did to the top. If anyone knows what I may have done wrong I would love to know before I call worth and make them buy me a new ukulele.(doubtful but I wish)

Does your ukulele have a Spanish style tie block? I've heard of people with spendy classical guitars with French polish finishes who actually put tape on the top below the bridge while re-stringing to prevent this. If the strings aren't put on correctly they can loosen suddenly causing the string to put a mark on the top. This doesn't happen with wound strings as they won't slip like monofilament nylon can.

Stringing nylon stringed instruments with a Spanish tie block is a bit of an art in itself. You need to use enough extra string to wind the end inside the loop creating a kind of clinch knot, almost like you were attaching a fish hook to the end of a line and maintain some tension as you're tightening the string. Use a winder if your uke has geared tuners.

I don't think that Worth will accept any liability for the finish on your uke 'cause it's not due to a faulty string.

The new strings are put on just like I always put them on. I guess its Spanish style. And nothing is slipping the string just broke. I'll at least get some new strings I hope.

I was putting some Worth clear strings on my 6 string and the high C string snapped on me. According to MGM, this is the string most likely to break. It might be wise to have some extra high C strings on hand in the future. When it snapped it did not bemish my uke

sorry, I thought you meant the string snapped TO a step above the low C, not after having been tuned to a step above because I always understood below the saddle as being toward the end of the body rather than between the bridge and the soundhole. Here's hoping you'll get some new strings.

Howard Restor-A-Shine, Burnishing Compound for scratches?

I'm going to try Howard Restor-A-Shine, Burnishing Compound to remove some scratches and bring back the luster on a used uke. I'll let you know about the results. The uke is 7 years old and looks it.

You will get more scratches over time, so just live with it for a while. When it is really scratched up then do something.:D

Top Bottom