I Made a $4 Electric Ukulele (With video)

wicked. I'm very impressed

cool...care to give instructions

I plan on doing a second revision before too long (fixing some of the most obvious mistakes I made). When I do that I plan to do some better photo documentation. In the mean time, feel free to ask any questions you may have about the build process.

Thats cool. gj bro

That is pretty awesome, and relatively easy to make especially compared to an acoustic. I like the Risa but they are over priced for what they are. You have inspired many of us to try something similar. I'd like to play quietly at night into a headphone and not worry about disturbing da queen. I just may have to try this. Here's a nice solid which was at the recent UGH show sort of a improved Risa. I like the protected tuners as well as the curved body fitting shape of bottom.
P1010278.jpg

That's pretty sweet.

I've had an idea like this kicking around in my head for a while, only based on the eleuke design. I'm not a big fan of headless instruments so I figured I could get a grizzly kit as a cheap way to get a pre-made neck and fretboard as well as the rest of the parts. Then all I would have to do is cut out a body from some hardwood and make a passive piezo pickup. It probably won't sound very good but I'll be playing through some little honeytone amp so sound quality will suffer no matter what.

For what they are, I agree most electric ukes are way over priced, especially the ones with passive pickups.

I want one!!! Looking forward to the updated version and would love to make one myself. I have wanted a Risa but was reluctant due to price and quality issues. Excellent post~

Most excellent! That looks like a great platform for future experimentation. I'm sure we all look forward to your refinements.

I feel like making a really, really crappy rip off of this, maybe better wood n such

Wow! Thanks everyone for all your enthusiastic encouragement! I have purchased some fret-wire, but am being held up by lack of a fret-saw. I'll let you all know more once I get that figured out.

Looking forward to 4$uke.2 I would love to try making one too but I also lack the appropriate tools! :( but one of my group members sent me a link for a Luthier that will actually help you make your uke... I have no idea what that would cost. More than 4$ I bet. But I am going to check into it anyway, even if it was 100$ it would still be cheaper than a Risa.

Top Bottom