Tiny Tim cover story in Stomp and Stammer

That is a fascinating story. I've never delved into Tiny Tim's music but by most accounts he was:

• a genuinely weird person
  • a very talented, profoundly underrated musician
  • trapped by the fame of his novelty hit

I'm interested in listening to sound samples

I saw Tiny Tim play once. He was touring with a 1 elephant tent circus who used some of my grandpa's land to put on their show. He came out with his uke and played Tiptoe Through the Tulips and went back out. My grandpa had lunch with him. That was back in the 80s after his hit sizzled.

Ok, that was random... sorry.

Neat article, thanks for sharing! He seemed like good person despite his oddities, lunch with him would be quite a trip.

Tim was a weird deviate. Research his life at your own peril.

I watched VH1 Behind the Music on him a few years ago, and yes - it gave me the creeps.

Some of those sound samples were pretty cool, some were downright irritating.

Interesting.

"His diet consisted of raw potatoes, beer and jars of tomato sauce, and he ballooned to 250 pounds."

According to rotten.com, he:

- Enjoyed covering naked girls with peanut butter, but would not have sex with them. That would be a sin.

- Refused to use hotel towels, using paper towels instead.

Thanks for the link to this article; an interesting read and it was cool to hear those sound samples on Amazon. I had read that stuff on the Tiny Tim web site a while back and watched those Australian clips and decided that yes, he may have been strange, and his music not my cup of tea, at the same time he was interesting and entertaining in his own unique way.

The most interesting thing about Tiny Tim that I learned was that he could play guitar and ukulele left handed and right handed.

Thanks for the link to this article; an interesting read and it was cool to hear those sound samples on Amazon. I had read that stuff on the Tiny Tim web site a while back and watched those Australian clips and decided that yes, he may have been strange, and his music not my cup of tea, at the same time he was interesting and entertaining in his own unique way.

Yep. Interesting character, fair performer, but don't dig too deep.

A Web site cut-and-paste of a no-byline article supposedly run by Star magazine (something that can't be verified on Star's own site), quoting such sources as "an insider," "a source," and a gossip columnist from another of the then-owner's publications. Dead people can't sue for libel, and tabloids know it. Sorry, this sort of thing doesn't meet my standard for facts. Think about it, Tiny Tim's schtick was about being slightly weird. Is it any wonder that the tabloids fleshed-out people's worst suspicions once the guy was dead? It's what they do.

A Web site cut-and-paste of a no-byline article supposedly run by Star magazine (something that can't be verified on Star's own site), quoting such sources as "an insider," "a source," and a gossip columnist from another of the then-owner's publications. Dead people can't sue for libel, and tabloids know it. Sorry, this sort of thing doesn't meet my standard for facts. Think about it, Tiny Tim's schtick was about being slightly weird. Is it any wonder that the tabloids fleshed-out people's worst suspicions once the guy was dead? It's what they do.

http://www.tinytim.org/articles

Well, then back up and look at the other articles on the Tiny Tim site. And note it's from TinyTim.org, not some off the wall deal. One would think that the Tiny Tim website people would be a reasonable filter for his legacy. There are multiple articles about his career and talent. And a couple of wierd habits.

http://www.tinytim.org/articles

Well, then back up and look at the other articles on the Tiny Tim site. And note it's from TinyTim.org, not some off the wall deal. One would think that the Tiny Tim website people would be a reasonable filter for his legacy. There are multiple articles about his career and talent. And a couple of wierd habits.

Still, no facts or reliable sources. The burden of proving your argument should not fall to me, friend. And that a single person creates a site about a famous person says nothing about the quality of the material on the site. I'm not even saying you're wrong in your assertions about Tim, just that if you're going to diss the dead, don't do it so casually.

Still, no facts or reliable sources.

OK. What will you consider a reliable source if not a compilation of the many articles written about the man? And aside from the sex article, there a couple about his odd eating habits, taking seven showers a day, and not showing up for gigs. That's where I got the wierd, deviate opinion from.

Jeez, I didn't know the guy so I looked him up and reported what I found.

I'm out.

Not to fuel an argument, but He was self-admittedly an "odd duck" and he did not hide this from the media. Part of it was his Shtick (or however you spell it) but even in an interview with him and his wife before they got married, Miss Vicki stated that they were to have separate bedrooms, bathrooms, and would not be eating together. He did not like for people to see him eat. He was also known to be OCD and showering often. In describing their courtship, after they first held hands he then applied cold cream to both their hands for cleanliness reasons. I am not sure about all the odd sexual stuff, but he definitely had OCD and a few other eccentric habits, some of which seem to have came from his devout religious beliefs. I forget the psych word for it, but basically it is the formation of superstitious behaviors around a need for penance or cleanliness and what-not. But that is just my opinion. Not from an article. It just seemed like a lot of things he did was to avoid being unclean (particularly sexually). There are many psychological things I can infer from some of the behavior, but that would be my opinion from what I have read. It just seems like he was a guy who was insecure with himself, and his looks, and he found an interesting way to make his mark in the world. Truly an interesting character and it is amazing he achieved the fame he did. Basically he sings a lot of old-school for his time songs, just in a weird voice. But he has quite a magic voice. He can really tailor it to fit what he is singing. Basically, he is like the weird-Al of his time, just without the social skills... he did not change words to pop songs, but he made old songs (for his time) "new" with his unique style. Tiptoe through the Tulips was origionally recorded in 1926 by a crooner.

Maybe this is morbid of me, but I find it cool how he died, on stage singing his hit song. His wife at the time said when he died the last thing he heard was applause and the last thing he felt is her arms around him. The kind of ending a screenwriter would write. His life might make for an interesting movie.

Last edited:
Top Bottom