The nightmare scenario...

I had to assume it had to do with the weather, but hopefully anyone buying a custom ukulele knows how to take care of it despite their surrounding environment.

Not quite like the old John Wayne movies.

Of the world's seven climate zones, Arizona has 5.
Missing are topical and arctic.

From a temperate zone to one near the opposite end - you could say I have a few concerns about the climate :)

((Happy New Year Pete!))

There is weather data for each region of the states,
http://www.wunderground.com/US/AZ/Phoenix.html
for example,
Did you monitor the humidity of your workshop before you made this one? I made a video a few days ago for youtube where I do an animal glue tutorial where I show off the digital hygrometer I bought for inside my house(the other one is in my shed/workshop). On this ocasion I only had to put some wet towels on hot radiators to raise the humidity to the safe zone of 43%. I would be interested to know if about when you were exporting ukes to Hawaii, did you need to increase the humidity in your workshop or did the average percentage work fine?

All these Indonesion, Hawian, and China, ukes travelling across the world from one climate to another..don't seem to have any problems..

Many do indeed suffer when proper precautions aren't taken. If not immediately then some time down the road. The plywood variety seem to hold up better than solid wood.

I've been working recently with an Asian manufacturer who gave me an insight into why instruments from these countries tend to be overbuilt... even though they climate control the country's humidity has an effect on the product and they have warranty fears so - overbuild!

I do control the environment I build in to around 45% - 55% RH. Trouble is, and it is my experience, many clients dessicate their homes in the US with AC which dries out the atmosphere and triple glazing in Northern Europe has a similar effect.

My house and my apartment at school both use constant AC. RH is quite low, but I keep my $250 Kala Acacia in the case with a little Dampit humidifier when I'm not playing it, and I can easily keep it within the 40-50% RH. I can only imagine treating a more expensive uke with at least the same precautions, if not more. Then again, I live in Virginia where humidity is our middle name, not Arizona. I guess you have to assume (hope) your customer is intelligent enough to use a humidifier or two to keep the necessary RH.

Top Bottom