My, Myself, and I! (aka My intro)

Mim

Reaction score
Hi! I am new! And after about 4 days I am already in love with my Uke and have set UU to my homepage :eek:!

A little about me. Me and my husband just celebrated our 10 year anniversary. We have 7 kids. 3 bio, 4 adopted. So we have a great little spectrum of kids ranging from almost 3-9 years old. We also just opened a Hawaiian themed shave ice/ ice cream shop just this last summer (www.alohasnow.com). I play a little piano, but my #1 love was playing guitar and was quite serious about it for awhile, but then marriage and 7 kids in about 7 years changed all that. My poor guitars have been quite neglected. Now it was time to pick music back up again and we have slow times at the ice cream shop in the winter, but bringing my guitar to work was cumbersome.

But how I found the uke: I was actually looking into buying a uke for decoration for the shop. I figured if it was tuneable I would take it down and play it now and then. In researching I ran into Youtube videos of people rocking out on the uke. I guess I was brainwashed into thinassociating things like "Tiptoe through the Tulips" on the uke and never thought about being able to really play "serious music" on it. But youtube and UU opened my eyes and it hit me: "This instrument would be PERFECT for me!" I was always limited at what I could do on the guitar because I have short stubby fingers. This has opened a whole new musical world for me.

So, instead of buying a prop, I bought a nice Spruce top, spalted maple Kala Concert. I LOVE IT! I know if I bought anything less I would be lusting after an upgrade right away. It came in and I can not put it down!!! My husband has been teasing me about it! But he said he does not care and likes how I use it as a way to also spend time with the kids. They know a lot of my favorite songs and the first song I learned was Lucky by Jason Mraz and my voice has been going horse from singing and playing it with my daughters and them saying "again, AGAIN!" Then my daughter requested "Old McDonald Had a Farm!" We had a good little family jam last night. I am going to try to teach my older kids a few chords and see how they do.

I also have already made a connection with Robby (4nails3holes) and we are going to get a uke jam session going in Charlotte at the shop if we can get some interest. Last night I sat on the couch and picked out most of "Here Comes the Sun" by the Beatles! I am so hooked! And today is Cold and Rainy here in Charlotte, so it is going to be a slow day for ice cream so I will get a lot of practice time.

Ok, this intro post is way too long. Let me get back to work :D

Woo! Welcome :D

You'll be lusting for a new uke anyway, the dreaded Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome attacks everyone, and with seven kids I bet you will be acquiring ukuleles faster than you think!

Welcome.

Wow. Seven kids and new business. I am impressed you found time to play your uke and visit UU.

Keep up the good work and uke playing. :)

Welcome.

Wow. Seven kids and new business. I am impressed you found time to play your uke and visit UU.

Keep up the good work and uke playing. :)

I probably should not find as much time for UU as I do! Haha!

We just are so slow at work right now. We are open 7 hours, but the hours when we first open and around dinner sometimes have NO ONE... so I can uke and go on UU... but I should do Uke more! The thread on here are just to fun and informative! Plus the Uke fits with my shops Hawaiian theme, so that is my excuse! Ha! I am hoping that I can start teaching some of my older kids as well. We can just be one huge Uke playing family!

Welcome to the Underground

Jack

Top Bottom