Time Square

CoLmes

UU+
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has/wants to stand in time square during New Years Eve.

I did it last year, took a train from Connecticut to Grand Central, ran like 20 blocks because we had no idea where we were going and they were blocked off every road we came to until we eventually sneaked into a side root somehow. We got there a 5 p.m. and once you get inside Timesquare they don't let you leave no matter what. We managed to get 2 or 3 blocks from the ball. For anyone that has been there, the Olive garden was to our left and the M&M factory was to my right.

It was freezing cold, with tons of people. You basically just stood there and made friends with the people you were standing with. The worst thing was, every time an hour passed by a countdown starts and at the end of it everyone screamed how many hours you have left until the magical 12 midnight.

But I have to say, even though the waiting game sucked, the last minute and especially the last 10 seconds was AMAZING. And guess what song they played after the ball dropped?

Somewhere Over the Rainbow - By Iz
:cool:

No offense, but you couldn't pay me to stand out in the cold for hours just to see some damn ball drop (which, BTW, I could see on tv in the comfort of my own home).

I supposed it's one of those "you had to be there" moments, but I'd rather stay home, be warm, have an available, clean bathroom within a few seconds' distance and no lines to use it, an ample supply of beverages and food to indulge my whims, and if I should overindulge, I can stumble to my bed without much risk. :)

LOL yeah I'm def. the same way. I like warm. But it's def. a check off of the bucket list and there really really isn't anything like it... So for as much as it did suck it had a really cool ending. I would never do it again unless I could somehow book one of the hotels on the road where people were having parties. Now that would be fun.

No offense, but you couldn't pay me to stand out in the cold for hours just to see some damn ball drop (which, BTW, I could see on tv in the comfort of my own home).

I supposed it's one of those "you had to be there" moments, but I'd rather stay home, be warm, have an available, clean bathroom within a few seconds' distance and no lines to use it, an ample supply of beverages and food to indulge my whims, and if I should overindulge, I can stumble to my bed without much risk. :)
I'd do it just for the social aspect of it. It seems like such a fun thing to do. People get emotional around times like this so I can't imagine how amazing it would be.

It's a zoo. I used to live 20 blocks from TS. The first year I went, all the subsequent years I opened my apartment window and turned on The TV with sound off. I could actually hear the crowd 20 blocks uptown!

Last edited:
Somewhere Over the Rainbow - By Iz
:cool:

I heard them playing this last night too! I can not be sure of the exact time, but Dick Clark was talking and I could hear it drifting in the background. It was right around midnight. It may have been right after the ball dropped, I am unsure. I watched last night, but have no desire to go. I think the fear I would have is being in the middle of the crowd and having to use the bathroom and then you lose your spot.

Last edited:
I'd do it just for the social aspect of it. It seems like such a fun thing to do. People get emotional around times like this so I can't imagine how amazing it would be.

It's really a surreal experience. Def. something I can tell my kids kids that I did.

It's a zoo. I used to live 20 blocks from TQ. The first year I went, all the subsequent years I opened my apartment window and turned on The TV with sound off. I could actually hear the crowd 20 blocks uptown!

The crowd is ENORMOUS. I thought I was far back but when I turned around all I could see were people as far as I could peep.

I heard them playing this last night too! I can not be sure of the exact time, but Dick Clark was talking and I could hear it drifting in the background. It was right around midnight. It may have been right after the ball dropped,

That might be a traditional thing then. It was def. the right song for that time. It's a feel good kinda song and I have to say when your walking the streets after it's so.... LOVING i guess could be the word. Everyone is happy, I literally smiled the whole way back to Grand Central.

Top Bottom