1st two done

wheelgunner

Reaction score
Here are my first two attempts:

The one on the left is a concert with Oregon myrtle back, spruce top and poplar neck. The one on the right is a mahogany soprano with a Mainland neck and a cedar top. Surprisingly enough they both sound pretty good, at least to me. I went at these completely backwards and made a bunch of mistakes but had a load of fun doing them. I already have a couple more in process.

Nice looking ukes! The myrtle is very interesting; good bookmatching. Is it a hardwood?
The poplar complements it well. I assume the bridge is also myrtle?

They look great! That mahogany is pretty and the myrtle looks nice, too. How do the two different tops sound as compared to each other? Any chance of seeing a close up of the neck attachment, I'd like to see how you did it. Anyway, nice job, looking forward to seeing the next ones.

The pictures don't do the wood justice. The myrtle and the mahogany both show a lot of figure. The myrtle is especially nice. They both have simple bolt on/glued necks. The soprano was made from half of a quitar back set I got from woodcraft, the top is part of a cedar quitar top set, the neck, bridge, saddle and nut came from Mainland. I decided on the body style to make it easy on myself to begin with.

I was quite surprised how little difference there is in the sound between the two. I would have thought that the mahogany/cedar would have been a lot mellower than the myrtle/spruce. I am already looking forward to making a couple more. I don't know what I am going to do with them but they are fun to make.

Love 'em. the headstock and fretboard continuity is really cool too. Bet they sound great.

Homemade solid wood ukes combined with tons of Flukey boat-shaped goodness. I'm a fan! Great work

Top Bottom