Questions I need to ask myself before buying a uke...

palekie

Reaction score
Hi there!

I've been scouring the forums for a couple of days now trying to better understand the things I need to ask myself before I buy my first uke.

Here's a list of questions that I thought were important for me to answer before my first purchase:
1. The all-important what's my budget?
2. What type of sound do I want from my uke? Warm? Bright? "Traditional" uke-sounding? More classical guitar sounding?
3. Related to (2), what size am I looking for in a uke? Soprano vs. concert vs. tenor?
4. Related to (2), what type of wood am I interested in? Solid vs. laminate? Koa? Mahogany?
5. Do I want a traditional uke or an electric uke?

Can a couple of you cagey uke vets think of other questions that I need to think through before my first purchase?

Based on the overwhelmingly positive feedback, I'll be using MGM for my first purchase and plan on calling him and discussing my options before finalizing my purchase. I thought it would be good to think about many of the uke-buying issues beforehand.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you can provide!

Freddie

There's is a comprehensive Buyer's Guide at the Ko'olau site, lengthy but worth reading. It's a link in the left column titled "How To Buy An Ukulele".

I would add the option of a baritone. maybe.

and I think if it's your first Uke it might be difficult to find an answer to all those questions, but it gets easier with every new instrument you play.

There's is a comprehensive Buyer's Guide at the Ko'olau site, lengthy but worth reading. It's a link in the left column titled "How To Buy An Ukulele".

A very good guide. I might add that there are production run ukes made by Ohana and Kala that are solid woods and <$200. MGM sells them. I have 2 Ohana ukes that cost me $125 and $189 each Solid mahogany. They are nice little instruments and they are well made. Just to keep in mind.

Kanaka, thanks for pointing me to the buyer's guide at the Ko'olau site! Very helpful indeed!

HaileISela, I agree that it's hard to answer all of those questions, especially when I haven't ever played a uke. I have a sneaking suspicion, that if I fall in love with the uke like I fell in love with the guitar, UAS is in my future!

Pdxuke, thanks for your recommendations! Right now, I haven't done a good job narrowing my options. The only thing I know for certain that I would like is an all solid wood uke in koa. I still haven't figured out the size or the brand. Based on my previous guitar purchases, I've generally followed the "buy as much as you can comfortably afford" guideline. While that seems to go against fiscal responsibility, that approach has prevented me from an endless chain of upgrading.

Thanks again for all your input!

Freddie

Pdxuke, thanks for your recommendations! Right now, I haven't done a good job narrowing my options. The only thing I know for certain that I would like is an all solid wood uke in koa. I still haven't figured out the size or the brand. Based on my previous guitar purchases, I've generally followed the "buy as much as you can comfortably afford" guideline. While that seems to go against fiscal responsibility, that approach has prevented me from an endless chain of upgrading.

Thanks again for all your input!

Freddie

Ahh, the buying process--the joys and pains, excitements and mistakes--are all a cost of our education. Those of us without a store like Elderly near us will sometimes hold our breath and buy on blind faith. Sometimes that will work and sometimes it won't. In every hobby I've ever had, I've learned the most --and quickly at that, when I have not been afraid of making mistakes.

The great part about THIS hobby is it's HOT right now, which means there are others waiting in the wings to BUY our personal mistakes from us! (Because one person's mistake is another person's dream uke!):cheers:

Have fun and make mistakes. You'll see mine posted here for sale someday!

Top Bottom