Strings Strings EVERYWHERE, but which ones!!!!!

$arge

Reaction score
Ok so i was looking for replacement string just to have in case, and santa also brought my daughter a bebop uke. so we can jam together and grow.
so anyways, i went ahead and bought the aquila's from just strings.com, but when i went looking for strings at amazon this is what i found...

http://www.amazon.com/DAddario-Ukul...&s=musical-instruments&qid=1262395540&sr=8-21

but the confusing part was the product description...
"Set of six strings Musical Notes E,B,G,D,A,E -
-----Item# ----- Diameter --------- Tension *PL013 ---- 0.013 inch (0.33mm) 27.4 lbs (12.43 kg) *PL017 ---- 0.017 inch (0.43mm) 26.3 lbs (11.93 kg) *EXPPB026 - 0.026 inch (0.66mm) 35.3 lbs (16.01 kg) *EXPPB035 - 0.035 inch (0.89mm) 36.8 lbs (16.69 kg) *EXPPB045 - 0.045 inch (1.14mm) 34 lbs (15.42 kg) *EXPPB056 - 0.056 inch (1.42mm) 29 lbs (13.15 kg) "

six strings??? ukuleles (most of em) only have 4??? so why do they sell 6?! they should just say "bad a$$ strings for your uke" buy these... im so confused. can someone clarify things for me?
thanks
Raf-

To clarify...they show a picture of the D'addario J65 ukulele strings...but the product specs are that of guitar strings. Just to save yourself some grief...I would get strings from here.

DOH! i could swear that i typed in ukulele strings....thx

You did type correctly. If anything, the strings you came upon would be for an Ukulele, but probably a Guitarlele. Body scale of a Ukulele but strung and played like a guitar. The site that KP told you to check out is for "MGM" or "MusicGuyMic" on ebay. He lives and deals ukulele & ukulele products here in Hawaii. I usually get most of my supplies from him. If there is anyone you can trust for ukulele stuff, its him.

The D'Addario strings from amazon are all messed up. For the J65 it gives the specs for guitar strings in the description. There are also a set of strings with the title "D'Addario Concert Ukulele Strings" But in the description, it says they are Tenor Uke strings.

Not saying D'Adarrio are bad strings, but be careful on what you are buying. I thought i was getting concert strings and they sent me soprano.

thats a real shame that online is taking over going into the store to the mom and pops music stores and dealing face to face with an indiv. i miss those days...
thanks for the help crew.
Raf-

But many of these online stores are still individual storefronts. It's just that technology has exploded the options of commerce for both seller and buyer.
It's still the difference between the independent versus the big box store, it's just that you're not limited to where your feet, car or public transportation will take you in your shopping options.
Internet sales are what is keeping some of the home grown businesses afloat in these challenging times. There's still people with dreams, knowledge and pride at the other end of the transaction.

Oh and for the record, most of my strings come from Elderly. Just because it's marginally closer to East Coast US than MGM and there's slightly less carbon footprint involved in me having my little strings.
Both have fantastic variety. MGM selling string assortments is a good way to figure out what you like.
I'm still a beginner and I had a thousand questions about strings when I started hanging out here. It does come down to what you like. There's no such thing as the best strings because each uke is different.
Strings can absolutely transform an 'ukulele.

Top Bottom