Uke sighting - Andy Griffith

Harold O.

Reaction score
So a commercial comes on the show I'm watching and I click over to the old shows channel. Andy Griffith is just getting started. I click the INFO button and up comes this description: "Two boisterous young women get arrested in order to be near Andy and Barney."

Wait a minute. This is Andy Griffith! So I flip back once or twice just to check this out. At one point, the girls get urged into the jail cell. One of them calls out "I want my ukulele!" and Barney hands it to her. The girls then start playing and singing Moonlight Bay (which just happens to be a standard song for our Canoga Park uke meetings).

Even my wife cracked up.

I remember Andy Griffith (as Sheriff Andy Taylor) playing the guitar from time to time on his show, but I don't remember this episode. Thanks for sharing!

The Fun Girls from Raliegh! I remember them and the episodes they were in, but the ukulele part evades me.

I thought they were from Mt. Pilot?

JJ

From the Internet Movie Database (imdb.com):

Season 4, Episode 27: Fun Girls
Original Air Date—13 April 1964
Andy and Barney are working late one evening to complete the county inventory. They've told Thelma Lou and Helen that the inventory has to be completed that evening if they are all to go to the dance the next night. Barney however runs into their old friends Daphne and Skippy - the Fun Girls - and they're soon both at the courthouse looking for a good time. Andy flat out refuses to go along and decides to give them a ride home to Mt. Pilot but sure enough, Helen and Thelma Lou see them all getting into the squad car. They refuse to go to the dance with them so Barney arranges for the fun girls to be their dates.

Season 5, Episode 28: The Arrest of the Fun Girls
Original Air Date—5 April 1965
Andy and Barney have to break a date with Helen and Thelma Lou because of work but panic sets in when the fun girls, Daphne and Skippy, drop in to see 'Doll' and 'Bernie'. Rather than just be up front with their girlfriends, Andy and Barney set but an elaborate plan where Barney will stay at the courthouse with the girls and Andy will go meet Helen and Thelma Lou. It doesn't quite work however and the girlfriends walk into the courthouse to find the boys and the fun girls apparently having a party. It takes awhile for them to eventually convince their girlfriends that they weren't cheating. Having patched things up, they all go out together but have a bit of a surprise when they get back to Andy's house.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0512480/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0512554/

Last edited:
Great work mds725!

The episode I saw was the second one where the girls kept saying Bernie. I didn't watch the whole thing, but I'll have to keep an eye out for it to loop back around, especially since a uke shows up (around 2/3s of the way through).

Top Bottom