Mainland Red Cedar Concert Fans?

iDavid

Reaction score
I am waiting on a Mainland Mahogany Tenor, but I also really want a Concert as well. I was thinking of adding a Red Cedar Concert to the order to save a bit on shipping.

Anyone out there prefer the Red Cedar Concert and want to convince me to go for both? :cool:

david

I have a gloss mahogany concert as well as a tenor. Been thinking of a cedar tenor for a brighter sound. I love my mahoganys and would be satisfied if I never got another uke in my life-YEAH RIGHT!

Convince you? The best way to support your UAS is to add cedar or is that to detour moths? No, no.. That's right cedar is the best way to support UAS! Go for it! :D

Here is the thing. I came from a background of playing guitar and I never really got that good. I am making much more progress on the Uke in a few months than I did on the guitar in many years. I have two daughters who I can "leave" the Ukes to and I have them both playing Makala's as I type.

and Ukes are so inexpensive compared to guitars, at least some of them ;)

But most of all, Ukes are tiny and too cool

Here is the thing. I came from a background of playing guitar and I never really got that good. I am making much more progress on the Uke in a few months than I did on the guitar in many years. I have two daughters who I can "leave" the Ukes to and I have them both playing Makala's as I type.

and Ukes are so inexpensive compared to guitars, at least some of them ;)

But most of all, Ukes are tiny and too cool

Remember, You are preaching to the choir:) I say go with one now since you would save on shipping. If you got the money, get it:)

I've got both the concert red cedar and mango. Both are great, but frankly I play the mango every chance I get... Awesome sounding instrument.

I'm looking at getting a new tenor but can't decide between the mango, mahogany and red cedar. I already have a concert ohana mahogany so i'm assuming a tenor mainland wouldn't be that different. If I want a mango, I have to wait 2-3 months when they are in stock.

I'm looking at getting a new tenor but can't decide between the mango, mahogany and red cedar. I already have a concert ohana mahogany so i'm assuming a tenor mainland wouldn't be that different. If I want a mango, I have to wait 2-3 months when they are in stock.

I hear ya.

I've never even played a tenor. We have a soprano and baritone in the house but that is it. A friend of mine has a Bushman Jenny Concert, so I can try the Tenor Mahogany Uke against that one and tell you what I think. I really like the concert and I have to say the baritone really is a bit too large. I am hoping the tenor is the perfect fit. I changed my mind on getting the Red Cedar, at least for the moment. lol

I've listen to a bunch of Red Cedar you-tubes and it seems a little bright. I really like it when it is finger picked, but I do more strumming that finger-picking. There is also a very small chance that the Tenor will be the last Uke I ever need. hee-hee

I could also see just getting a Mahogany Concert to go with Tenor. Probably best to get one instrument at at time.

So, are you going to wait on that Mango?

I hear ya.

I've never even played a tenor. We have a soprano and baritone in the house but that is it. A friend of mine has a Bushman Jenny Concert, so I can try the Tenor Mahogany Uke against that one and tell you what I think. I really like the concert and I have to say the baritone really is a bit too large. I am hoping the tenor is the perfect fit. I changed my mind on getting the Red Cedar, at least for the moment. lol

I've listen to a bunch of Red Cedar you-tubes and it seems a little bright. I really like it when it is finger picked, but I do more strumming that finger-picking. There is also a very small chance that the Tenor will be the last Uke I ever need. hee-hee

I could also see just getting a Mahogany Concert to go with Tenor. Probably best to get one instrument at at time.

So, are you going to wait on that Mango?
I don't know, lol. I'm in the same boat, I've never played a tenor but feel like it would be a better fit. I also didn't think I liked the brightness of the red cedar but I think I may want something a bit more different than my Ohana Ck-25. I'm not sure I can wait for a mango but if it's too similar to mahogany, then I might not want it right now. It's hard to tell through youtube vids this sort of thing.

I kind of think a Tenor would be fairly different than a concert, maybe...

I think Mango is usually more like Koa. However, from what I've seen the Mainland Mango was closer to Mahoagany. The problem with Mainland is they are such a great deal that you start thinking, "Oh, let me get one more!"

They remind me of potato chips, but in a good way

Have been following this thread a bit.

I think the decision process of "I already have an X, so now I guess I should get a Y" has become the standard format for a lot of people. Why? Is variety always the spice of life? Not always. I think what can often emerge is an "idea of things" approach vs. what to your ears sounds the best and what you may already prefer. In the end, for example, the "idea" of the red cedar can yield to the mango "that always gets played." Or maybe it's the "idea" of mango that turns out "too close" to whatever or for some, neither this or neither that.

There's the other alternative, perhaps boring (but perhaps in the end more radical): gettting another mahogany uke in your case if that's what you like and actually prefer. Frankly, I think when it comes to uke playing the notion of needing all these various tonewood is somewhat overstated and more frequently arriving at the very human conclusion: "I like this the best" gets proven over and over again with "must have ukes" that then seldom get played. Sure if people want to UAS to the max, then buy one of everything in every size...and then there's almost no decision process involved, simply money.

Cedar-bright (as in more defined) nearer the nut with a warm undercurrent that can seem not defined in certain registers, a kind of drop off in clarity to my ears...more defined drops between uke sizes...

Mango, yeah mellow but lacking the responsiveness of mahogany so that mellow can turn a little mushy in a larger body uke, mango's are better with sopranos and concerts IMO.

Last edited:
There is a little fishing quote that strikes me about this thread it's "All the gear with no idea" some fisherman think if they buy all the latest kit they will catch more fish, but really they just need to learn to become better at fishing :-0 No offence intended as I've had a serious case of UAS since I started my Uke adventure, so who am I to talk.

There is a little fishing quote that strikes me about this thread it's "All the gear with no idea" some fisherman think if they buy all the latest kit they will catch more fish, but really they just need to learn to become better at fishing :-0 No offence intended as I've had a serious case of UAS since I started my Uke adventure, so who am I to talk.

Hey not talking to just Melissa but myself. Also, I think the cruel yet blunt truth is that: that for a solid wood the price point for "very good" or better stated "with distinction" is a higher price point.

And yes, everyone thinks it's amazing to watch Jake S. try out a uke that's less than $100 dollars but never apply this same logic (proportionately of course) to themselves.

Top Bottom