Buying Advice for Inexpensive Ukulele

baird77

Reaction score
I want buy a ukulele and am unsure which size to get. I can read music and am OK at piano. However, I cannot play guitar. My main concern is being able to play along to the videos on this site so I want to make sure I am using the same ukulele as shown in the videos. I read (not sure where) that tabs for ukuleles differ depending on the size. Is that true? From my basic research I am thinking a tenor is what I want. Any advice?

I would like to spend less than $100 and realize the quality may not be all that great but do not want the ukulele to sound like a toy. I will most likely be getting one from Guitar Center but am not opposed to buying one from the internet. Recommendations on makes and models would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to UU. There are 4 sizes of ukulele, soprano, concert, tenor, and baritone. All but the baritone are tuned the exact same, while a baritone is tuned like the first 4 strings of a guitar, so if you stick to either a soprano, concert, or tenor you'll be ok. At your price point, I'd recommend Kala from MGM on ebay. He's a very well regarded seller who sets up the ukes with proper strings and other fine tunings so you really get your money's worth. here's a link to his room on ebay, and the next 3 links are for starter Kala ukuleles in soprano, concert, and tenor sizes. hope this helps

http://stores.ebay.com/Musicguymics-Room
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Kala-KA-S-M...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item56386ebf9e
http://cgi.ebay.com/KALA-BRAND-KA-C...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item56384dd55b
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Kala-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a562f3ba3

Last edited:
Try this

I'd say you should look at this KALA. OR THIS. And I'd advise you buy from MGM. Here's his other KALAS.

Last edited:
Just a quick word of advice from someone who got a little bit burned (bad fret on a Kala) buying it from a "big box" store, like guitar center. With MGM, UkeRepublic, Mainland etc. you get a setup to make sure the uke is right before you take it home. If you buy from Guitar Center or any other box store I would do some careful checks first:

1. Play ALL the notes up the fretboard on each string to make sure there are no buzzes or notes that don't sound.
2. Inspect all the frets to make sure all are properly seated, and none are coming out of their slots.
3. Make sure all the frets are smooth on the sides where they were cut.
4. Take a ruler with you and move a string out of the way (you may have to loosen it first) and lay your ruler on the frets from the bottom to the top to make sure the frets are flat all the way up. None should either stick up higher or be lower than the others.
5. Cut a 1/4" wide piece from an index card and put it under the strings on top of the first fret. Push down on the same string at the third fret and see if the string grips the card enough that it offers resistance when you pull the strip. If it doesn't you will probably need to lower the action on that instrument by sanding the bridge or nut.
6. Measure the height of the strings at the 13th fret. It should be somewhere near 1/8". Lower is OK as long as it doesn't buzz when played hard, but a lot higher means you will probably need to do the same thing as in 5. above.
7. Carefully inspect all the joints and seams.
8. Make sure all the tuning pegs work by tuning it up. If you don't already have one, ask Guitar Center to lend you one. They may even through in a few one if you ask.

I am not a luthier, and have only been playing about a month, so corrections or additions are welcome

Last edited:
I'd save yourself some grief on your first uke and order from an expert like Mike at MGM. Guitar Center is great for certain things, but in my opinion not a great place to purchase your first uke.

I'd save yourself some grief on your first uke and order from an expert like Mike at MGM. Guitar Center is great for certain things, but in my opinion not a great place to purchase your first uke.

I agree, with MGM you can't go wrong!!

Top Bottom