Country of origin.

P-co

Reaction score
I feel I am a bit of a snob but how much importance do other people place in the country where a uke is made? You see lot's of US, Hawaiian, Australian etc companies with their production offshore.
I work in the surfboard game and 75% of the boards I sell nowdays would come from Thailand and China and some of these are excellent products, as good as a locally made board and certainly cheaper. That being said I usually prefer to ride a local handmade board and likewise I am drawn to a Hawaiian, US or locally made Uke. Am I over looking some great and collectable jumping fleas by narrowing my focus?

I can't imagine a 'ukulele from Philippines, China, Vietnam or Indonesia developing a collector's value their value being strictly as players in my opinion though great players they are. The Hawaiian 'ukuleles have potential for collector's value in the future but even them I would not buy for investment purposes at least not new though you can find some nice ones for reasonable prices on eBay or Craigslist. I also prefer 'ukuleles made locally by luthiers I know personally and have a connection with and know is unique, they have "soul" or "mana" not found in "factory" 'ukuleles made for the masses. My favorites are my Emil Bader, Randy Wong, and Dave Djessing pineapples though I also feel the same way about my Mainland pineapple since I know Mike H. personally, and know he did perform the final setup and was fully involved in it's design so a part of him is in that 'ukulele too. Does that make sense to you guys?

As for surfboards I like the epoxy composites made by Surftech in Thailand. I have a MacTavish model 9.6 Longboard with Koa veneer under the epoxy/fiberglass and this board is strong, lightweight, super maneuverable, and beautiful to the eyes, and if it was made locally I could never afford it. It's the best surfboard I could afford, it's sort of the KALA of surfboards. Does lack the "mana" of a local made board though.

I have a phillipine uke, chinese uke, and Hawaiian uke. I prefer my Hawaiian ukulele then my philipino ukulele (Mele). I never play my chinese ukulele though b/c it is on loan at the moment. When I surfed I had three boards. A 9'6" Hawaiian Island Creation, a 10'2" Jimmy Stewart or Knoll (it was $1,200 and I can't remember the guys last name but it was a Maui builder) and and old 9' that I got from a friend. It was my beater board but it was fun. So I never owned an import board. I do like my Meles and I don't plan on saving my ukuleles for collectable profit. I collect them to play:)

It depends on the company who made the Uke I would suppose. And if the purpose of the Uke was to be played, or to be used as decoration. I've seen an Uke from P.I. that had a decent sound (even in comparison to some crappy Ukes I've seen in US). I remember visiting some Japanese or Korean website that sold Ukes and from the looks of their Ukes (and the prices), I would believe that they would've been worth it. To simply answer your question, YES and NO. YES because there are probably some really talented luthiers out there. No because...well to import them would probably be EXXPENSSIVEEE. Lol.

It depends on the company who made the Uke I would suppose. And if the purpose of the Uke was to be played, or to be used as decoration. I've seen an Uke from P.I. that had a decent sound (even in comparison to some crappy Ukes I've seen in US). I remember visiting some Japanese or Korean website that sold Ukes and from the looks of their Ukes (and the prices), I would believe that they would've been worth it. To simply answer your question, YES and NO. YES because there are probably some really talented luthiers out there. No because...well to import them would probably be EXXPENSSIVEEE. Lol.

Meles are made in the P.I. and I think they are better than any of the imports and as well as some of the Ks.

I want to say that products in general made for the masses are manufactured mostly in the asian countries. They are made with the intention of inexpensive with low to mid quality. Some products made for the masses are great but when it comes to products such as surfboards and/or ukes its about 1 in 6 you'll get an okay to great quality. I prefer to use my own judgment over country of origin. It shouldn't matter but if it feels right I just go with it regardless if its from china or usa. I too like to purchase locally made or from independently owned businesses!! Supporting underdogs are the way to go in a world of Walmartization!!

I have a phillipine uke, chinese uke, and Hawaiian uke. I prefer my Hawaiian ukulele then my philipino ukulele (Mele). I never play my chinese ukulele though b/c it is on loan at the moment. When I surfed I had three boards. A 9'6" Hawaiian Island Creation, a 10'2" Jimmy Stewart or Knoll (it was $1,200 and I can't remember the guys last name but it was a Maui builder) and and old 9' that I got from a friend. It was my beater board but it was fun. So I never owned an import board. I do like my Meles and I don't plan on saving my ukuleles for collectable profit. I collect them to play:)
Did you mean a Bill Stewart? Before my Surftech I had a 9.2 Bill Stewart Hydrohull and that board was AWESOME, felt like a shortboard very loose but also a great nose-rider though a tad small for this blalah so moved up to a 9.6 Doug Haut board. Also rode Stew MacRobbie, Chris Vandervort, Jeff Timpone, Bob "OLE" Olson boards- all excellent Maui shapers though all around I liked Chris Vandervort's boards the best, most progressive design. He passed away at a very young age, wish I had one of his boards still, can't get um anymore. I miss Maui surfing, best place to longboard in the State if not the country. Whoa, e kala mai ia'u for hijacking this thread. Anyways import 'ukuleles and surfboards have a rightful place in the scheme of things. Of the import brands MELE is my favorite too because it's a local (Hawai'i) company with local setup and finishing, and it has great customer service. In my oppinion they have a feel which isn't mass produced by a machine but more hand made. I LOVE my MELE Koa pineapple, she's a keeper.

I should probably own 3 Meles soon...the fact that my wife is from the Phillipines (spent 3 weeks there last year) may make future purchases easier...also the Ilocano music is quasi-Hawaiian...starting with a Koa pineapple? It's only Day 3 of 2010 and I'm already asking myself, "Am I a bad person?"

Seriously, though, this is a great thread and let me agree with everyone sort of though I'm not a politician.

Nothing beats a mana-filled mojo-laden handmade instrument. In the mana/mojo department, however, sometimes a really really cheap hard to pplay instrument can have more 'tude than a perfect one...but that's another thread...I have a $20 plywood sunburst guitar from the Phillipines that I played there and still have...essentially a tenor sized 6 string...a kind of Stella blues machine...the mass produced quality stuff isn't in that category. It shamelessly says "Gibson" on the headstock with vintage style lettering.

BUT...maybe it's the Leo Fender in me...I also think that the growth of popular music owes much more to having mass produced stuff of yes, even a mid-level quality affordable and available. Sure, we're talking an acoustic instrument here...not all things Fender for example have always been great throughout their history...

and we're talking playing out, playing well, potential "working musician" requirements of durability and venues where frankly "the best" is not the issue. Or in groups mostly for fun.

This is proven again and again where sheer "richness of tone" isn't the major factor and where laminate vs. great tonewood is almost a non- issue as in ukeles with pickups...and it's clear...you're not in the studio. Hey, what about them Flukes and Fleas?

I think it's fair to say that really not that long ago, the ukelele suffered in the gap between tourist toys, overbuilt furniture-like ukes...and the really handmade good stuff...?

The Mexican Martins don't fill that gap...despite the price and headstock.

Last edited:
My Kiwaya was made in Japan and it sounds AMAZING to me :D

I think Japanese 'ukuleles need to be placed in a different catagory than the rest of Asia because the Japanese have adopted and been enthusiasts of Hawaiian culture since the 1950s if not earlier and the makers there are based there and for the most part make 'ukuleles because they love the 'ukulele. I don't believe there are any mass produced 'ukuleles made in Japan even they could if they desired to. I believe Japan has more 'ukulele entusiast per capita than the Mainland US. Japanese pride in craftsmanship in everything they make is reflected in their 'ukuleles. Watch the Japanese movie "Hula Girls" or YouTube Japan 'ukulele, or look up Mahaloizumi on Youtube, you be impressed with their dedication to this instrument and culture. When the Japanese decide to do something they never do it half-fast. I want a Kiwaya pineapple real bad, best laminate ukulele made in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
The principle of the thing...

I wouldn't buy a uke from asia just because of the lack of standards i.e. shoddy workmanship, lead paint etc. EVERYTHING these days is made in China, and I want my uke to be something special. I'm sure if you go upscale, they have some amazing ukes, but part of me just feels peaceful knowing my uke was made in the E.U. (I'm crazy, I know) Personally I plan to stick to Amigo, Bruko, and Flukes/Fleas. I'm being a bit of a snob, but hey, I didn't include any expensive Hawaiian ukes b/c they are far beyond my price range!!

Did you mean a Bill Stewart? Before my Surftech I had a 9.2 Bill Stewart Hydrohull and that board was AWESOME, felt like a shortboard very loose but also a great nose-rider though a tad small for this blalah so moved up to a 9.6 Doug Haut board. Also rode Stew MacRobbie, Chris Vandervort, Jeff Timpone, Bob "OLE" Olson boards- all excellent Maui shapers though all around I liked Chris Vandervort's boards the best, most progressive design. He passed away at a very young age, wish I had one of his boards still, can't get um anymore. I miss Maui surfing, best place to longboard in the State if not the country. Whoa, e kala mai ia'u for hijacking this thread. Anyways import 'ukuleles and surfboards have a rightful place in the scheme of things. Of the import brands MELE is my favorite too because it's a local (Hawai'i) company with local setup and finishing, and it has great customer service. In my oppinion they have a feel which isn't mass produced by a machine but more hand made. I LOVE my MELE Koa pineapple, she's a keeper.

Yes. Ahnko. It was a Bill Stewart. That seems right. Meles arfe handmade. That is what sets them apart from the other imports IMO.

Question for thought, can a factory produced instrument acquire soul or mana after time from being played or associated with a great musician?

I have a Lanaikai CKT lam koa and a Collings UT-1 mahogany. 2 different flavors. Now that I have the Collings I don't see myself buying another uke for a while because I now have pretty much max sound. Perhaps some day the bug will bite me to buy a really nice solid koa instrument. Country of origin doesn't really matter to me.

Question for thought, can a factory produced instrument acquire soul or mana after time from being played or associated with a great musician?

You dont even have to be a great musician to impart soul into your instrument, just a happy one. The best instrument in the world can be soulless in the wrong hands. Just my half cent.

Take care,
Thomas

Yes. KoAloha makes factory instruments and I think that they have just as much mana as a custom instrument. That is just my opinion and Thomas makes a great point above me.

Made in Japan used to be synonymous with cheap/shoddy. Perhaps some of their export goods were at that time but the Japanese culture has been around since well before the west was even a dream in the mind of European imperialists looking for slave labor. That country has a rich tradition of stellar craftsmen. The Japanese have made simply wonderful guitars for quite a while now.

China seems to be the new Japan with a twist in that business people in the US have deliberately outsourced labor to China because lack of environmental standards, workplace safety standards and product safety standards have made labor and, by extension, products cheap. Now that the "free market" has been demonstrated to be problematic for the citizens of the nation who's business class exported jobs and put lots of folks on the skids I think the propaganda is humorous, at best. I have a Chinese made Blueridge based on a turn of the century Martin 0 design, the tone is incredible. . . It has some minor cosmetic issues and it's not quite as good as a Huss & Dalton 00 SP but the sound is HUGE.

There ARE many cheap and in some cases downright dangerous products coming from China, bought by American businessmen to sell to Americans. It isn't China's fault and it doesn't mean that there are good products made there by a culture that is far far older then ours and has a rich tradition of skilled craftsmen as well.

Top Bottom