Is it true?...

Projectbronco

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've recently come across an ukulele builder/seller bruceweiart on ebay. I was wondering if anyone had experience with his products? I had read a few outside reviews about guitars cracking and not doing well...Does anyone have one of his ukes? They look good, but I don't want to buy a piece of crap. lol

This would be my first purchase, I am currently shopping. If I can't find anything good about them, I'll probably get a Kala or something like it.

Thanks!

Oh, and his stuff is here:http://instruments.shop.ebay.com/Ukulele-/16224/i.html?_catref=1&_fln=1&_ipg=&_ssn=bruceweiart&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

Hey everyone, I've recently come across an ukulele builder/seller bruceweiart on ebay. I was wondering if anyone had experience with his products? I had read a few outside reviews about guitars cracking and not doing well...Does anyone have one of his ukes? They look good, but I don't want to buy a piece of crap. lol

This would be my first purchase, I am currently shopping. If I can't find anything good about them, I'll probably get a Kala or something like it.

Thanks!

Oh, and his stuff is here:http://instruments.shop.ebay.com/Ukulele-/16224/i.html?_catref=1&_fln=1&_ipg=&_ssn=bruceweiart&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

I don't know to much about ebay but I do know Solid Koa ukes are dang near expensive, i'm not sure if sellers have a choice at where the bid's starts but either he's lying about some of his products, they're not assembled well, or he just doesn't know the price those types of uke's go for. I mean, look at how much Moorebettah charges for his in-layed custom solid koa ukes.

I don't know much about ebay like I said but this guy seems a lil fishy to me.

I dont know a whole lot about Ukes, and i know a lot less about that particular seller/maker.

What i do know though, is that some people:

A) Just dont understand how to sell well on ebay. They dont put reserves on their auctions, they dont realize that buy it now can be very good in some cases.

B) Are old school and will always start an auction at 1 dollar, even if the item is worth 400. I have seen this many many times. (and have got some GREAT deals!)

For all we know, its some old guy who is trying to expand his business online and is just confused, ya know?

So, the only thing you can go by is what others say about his Ukes. If you have read that they are no bueno, think twice about purchasing one. From what i can tell, he has a very good rating, and has sold many many items to happy customers.

If you are truly interested, email the seller and ask about their return policy. Also, true craftsman take pride in their work, and therefor, a lot of the time have some form of guarantee.

EDIT: Upon further searching, it seems that the seller is not personally building the Ukes... they are buying them, and adding mother of pearl to make them pretty. I would definitely email the seller and ask where they are getting the Ukes. Though, they do come with Aquila strings...

Very tough call though with this guy.

Last edited:
I couldn't help giggling a bit when I read this:
CUSTOM MADE, ALL HAND-CRAFTED WORK !

This Ukulele was made by solid wood, the best, with gorgeous abalone and mother of pearl on it.

Great playing & it has very rich, full, deep sounds. I think that it's a nice surprise !

The inlaid work all are by hand-crafted ( no CNC machine cutting )

Our Ukulele excellent not like the others cheap in the art shop

The uke itself seems well made as far as photos show.
And he does seem to have a 1 month return policy.

Be VERY careful. Because the item is in Vietnam you would have to pay a lot to return it. It is clear that the instrument in the picture LOOKS great, but is it the one you would be buying? The one you buy may look terrible and have all sorts of cosmetic faults. It is very easy to make a photo look good.

And then there's the sound. There are some good instruments made in Vietnam, but also some dreadful ones. It is very easy to make an instrument of good materials and yet it sound awful.

Don't think of the eBay seller as the luthier. These instruments are made in factories.

One other thing: check for hidden costs. Quote: "The shipping cost not included for import tax, insurrance and other fees". Not a good command of English either.

However cheap you get it for , it may still be too much.

It may be a super instrument, but just be careful.

If it is too good to be true, it probably isn't

My experiences have shown that when items (including ukes) are priced way below market,then something is probably not as I good as am expecting.

Vietnam has many wood craftsmen, working for fairly low wages. I understand that factories have left China for Vietnam.

Bottom line: Find a uke closer to home. There should be lots of sales in January. Check (Call) your favorite uke stores.

Is it true?

Buyer beware - if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. In the Uilleann piping world, there are cheap sets of pipes from Pakistan - they are good for tomato stakes and that's about it, impossible to reed and they sound horrid - a decent full set starts at around $6k..... Too often we are driven by a lust for bargains and forget our desire for a nice instrument. Spend all you can on your ukulele - if you are spending time with the instrument it is a good idea have a good partner in that endeavor and one you won't outgrow soon - if it is a good investment of your time, it is a good investment of your money. Inlays are cosmetic, get a good functional instrument made with quality wood and quality workmanship. If you can afford to add inlays after that, go for it.

This is all great advise, thank you all for responding. I think I will steer clear of these and go with a more tried and true uke. I just visited my local music shop today and now know I definitely want a tenor. I may even buy from them. Support local merchants and all. Thanks again

I'm not sure if it was this forum or another but basically these are just decorative pieces... they are mediocre to say the least but not great....They are as good as mahalo ukes is what I read before...so stick to the actual brands and within your same country..you wouldnt want to pay more on shipping back then on the refund!!

Thanks!

Unless I change my mind...again...lol
I think I've narrowed it down to the Kala Ka Tem, Teme, or Tem-e3 They all seem like great beginner/intermediate ukes. The deciding factor now will be the price.
I believe it is wise what ukeninam said about sticking with a local brand.
And what ukuleleprodigy said about koa being a more expensive option.
I guess the old saying is true Doc_J, if it seems too good to be true, buy a Kala...wait, I mean, well you know what I mean. ;)

Hey Gang. Guess what. I did it. I bid on this uke and won. When this post first came out, I too looked at the ukulele posted and thought, "hey, that looks pretty nice". Why did I do it, you may ask? Well, I am the type of guy that has to see it for myself. I know I was taking a chance with $150 of my money but hey, if it turned out to be something good, then great. If not, then everyone would know the truth. Even though I was getting ribbed by friends that its going to come in pieces or as a kit, etc, I kept my hopes up, but not too high. My winning bid came out to $65.00. Shipping was a bit more than the instrument itself to ship to Hawaii. Anyway, the bottom line........I am very pleased. The uke did not come in a case, but was wrapped pretty neatly in bubble wrap. The only gripe I have about the uke is the friction tuners. The wood itself from what I can tell is solid and not laminate (through sound hole, the pattern on wood in the body matches the back side of the uke). It has a nice satin finish, reminiscent of my 8 string Kala Ukulele I own. The inlay is nice (how deep, I don't know, and I don't plan on digging it out to find out). The headstock has a nice angle cut to the top and some nice inlay. The bridge has holes on the top so the strings are tied inside of the body. No buzzing anywhere on the frets. The action is nice a low. The sound is nice and crisp. I will change the strings from the current Aquilla's and put worths with a Low G on it later. This is the exact same uke posted on the website. Again, bottom line, for $150. This was a pretty good deal. If my shopping limit was around $150 and you now asked me if I wanted this uke or a Kala or Lanikai in this price range, I would get this uke. As an ukulele player, I don't do all the lightnig fast picking. I'm just a strummer and singer. I will try and make a video to post what it sounds like later. Any questions.........shoot em my way. Aloha, Dino

Attachments

• viet6.jpg
    viet6.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 48
  • viet1.jpg
    viet1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 51
  • viet5.jpg
    viet5.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 41
  • viet4.jpg
    viet4.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 42
  • viet3.jpg
    viet3.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Hey Gang. Guess what. I did it. I bid on this uke and won. When this post first came out, I too looked at the ukulele posted and thought, "hey, that looks pretty nice". Why did I do it, you may ask? Well, I am the type of guy that has to see it for myself. I know I was taking a chance with $150 of my money but hey, if it turned out to be something good, then great. If not, then everyone would know the truth. Even though I was getting ribbed by friends that its going to come in pieces or as a kit, etc, I kept my hopes up, but not too high. My winning bid came out to $65.00. Shipping was a bit more than the instrument itself to ship to Hawaii. Anyway, the bottom line........I am very pleased. The uke did not come in a case, but was wrapped pretty neatly in bubble wrap. The only gripe I have about the uke is the friction tuners. The wood itself from what I can tell is solid and not laminate (through sound hole, the pattern on wood in the body matches the back side of the uke). It has a nice satin finish, reminiscent of my 8 string Kala Ukulele I own. The inlay is nice (how deep, I don't know, and I don't plan on digging it out to find out). The headstock has a nice angle cut to the top and some nice inlay. The bridge has holes on the top so the strings are tied inside of the body. No buzzing anywhere on the frets. The action is nice a low. The sound is nice and crisp. I will change the strings from the current Aquilla's and put worths with a Low G on it later. This is the exact same uke posted on the website. Again, bottom line, for $150. This was a pretty good deal. If my shopping limit was around $150 and you now asked me if I wanted this uke or a Kala or Lanikai in this price range, I would get this uke. As an ukulele player, I don't do all the lightnig fast picking. I'm just a strummer and singer. I will try and make a video to post what it sounds like later. Any questions.........shoot em my way. Aloha, Dino

Hey, thanks for chiming in. I have pretty much decided on the Kala ka-teme. But just out of curiosities sake, is there a brand sticker on your new uke? Also, I know that you purchased from a different vendor, but you may want to check this out:
http://www.chionline.com/Antoniotsai/index.html (Thanks Haole for the link).

Apparently over sixty people had bought from Antoniosai on ebay, only to have their instruments either crack shortly after arriving, never arrive, etc.
Lord willing Bruceweiart is a stand up guy, he seems to have great feedback. I'm glad you are enjoying your uke! That is awesome, apparently it does pay off to take chances sometimes.

Hey, thanks for chiming in. I have pretty much decided on the Kala ka-teme. But just out of curiosities sake, is there a brand sticker on your new uke? Also, I know that you purchased from a different vendor, but you may want to check this out:
http://www.chionline.com/Antoniotsai/index.html (Thanks Haole for the link).

Apparently over sixty people had bought from Antoniosai on ebay, only to have their instruments either crack shortly after arriving, never arrive, etc.
Lord willing Bruceweiart is a stand up guy, he seems to have great feedback. I'm glad you are enjoying your uke! That is awesome, apparently it does pay off to take chances sometimes.

Hey PB,
That was quick for you to see my post. Anyway, there is no brand sticker. There is an extra glue drippy spill mark inside the body. hahaha. Again, if you ask me, its reminiscent of my 8-string kala (which was probably made in Taiwan) I have but with all these little extra added perks. I saw that Anotoniosai post. Spooky. God forbid this Bruceweiart is the same guy and my uke falls appart. I actually was a little affraid of something snapping off when tuning it, but its all good. I will keep everyone posted on this uke to see if it will crack or anything like that. It is so hard to tell who is legit and who is not with the internet, but Bruceweiart....whoever he is.....seems to have a fairly good product and is legit. Aloha, Dino

Top Bottom