UFC 108 Talk

haolejohn

Reaction score
OK. while watching UFC 108 last night and my brother and I began to discuss the Evans/Silva fight. In the first two rounds Evans seemed to take Silva down repeatedly but once he got him down Silva was able to gain his feet and Evans couldn't mount a ground and pound. The third round was all Silva. I felt the fight should have been scored a draw. If Evans could have pounded Silva on the ground then I could see the victory but all he did was take Silva down but then do nothing and once on the ground silva clearly had a better defense. Anyone else feel the same way as me?

OK. while watching UFC 108 last night and my brother and I began to discuss the Evans/Silva fight. In the first two rounds Evans seemed to take Silva down repeatedly but once he got him down Silva was able to gain his feet and Evans couldn't mount a ground and pound. The third round was all Silva. I felt the fight should have been scored a draw. If Evans could have pounded Silva on the ground then I could see the victory but all he did was take Silva down but then do nothing and once on the ground silva clearly had a better defense. Anyone else feel the same way as me?

No I felt Silva was the winner. Just like you mentioned, if Evans pounded on Silva while Silva was down, then Evans would have won. But whenever Silva was taken down it seemed he never got pounded and managed to always get back on to his feet.

No I felt Silva was the winner. Just like you mentioned, if Evans pounded on Silva while Silva was down, then Evans would have won. But whenever Silva was taken down it seemed he never got pounded and managed to always get back on to his feet.

Exactly. I think that the scoring system needs to be changed. All Evans did was take him down but Silva was never down for long. I guess if I knew I could get points for takedowns then that would be my strateegy as well. I was very disappointed with the whole fight until the 3rd. Can't wait for Rampage vs. Evans.

i think the scoring system is fine, more over its the judges who need to be checked. in the most recent Ortiz vs. Griffin fight, glen trowbridge actually gave the fight to tito. even a blind man could tell tito got his ass whooped. and its not like that was the first time the judges have blown a fight. BJ vs. GSP 1 shouldve gone to BJ. Hardy vs. Davis shouldve gone to Davis. The judges and refs need to be kept in check. i can think of off the top of my head at least a dozen fights with horrible stoppage. Yamasaki, Rosenthal, especially Rosenthal, any of the uk refs, and Herb Dean at times have all had ridiculous stoppages.

i think the scoring system is fine, more over its the judges who need to be checked. in the most recent Ortiz vs. Griffin fight, glen trowbridge actually gave the fight to tito. even a blind man could tell tito got his ass whooped. and its not like that was the first time the judges have blown a fight. BJ vs. GSP 1 shouldve gone to BJ. Hardy vs. Davis shouldve gone to Davis. The judges and refs need to be kept in check. i can think of off the top of my head at least a dozen fights with horrible stoppage. Yamasaki, Rosenthal, especially Rosenthal, any of the uk refs, and Herb Dean at times have all had ridiculous stoppages.

Good point. Even Saturday night, the first fight (don't remember who it was) was stopped too soon but then a latter fight wasn't stopped soon enough.

If you score on the 10 point must system Rashad won. he won rounds 1 and 2 and Silva won round 3. If you were scoring on the defunct PRIDE scoring system, Silva may have won because they used to judge fights on a whole. I like the 10 point must system but I feel like more judges need to be better educated on it and not be afraid to give 10-8 rounds (BJ - Diego R1). This fight however was scored fine.

If you score on the 10 point must system Rashad won. he won rounds 1 and 2 and Silva won round 3. If you were scoring on the defunct PRIDE scoring system, Silva may have won because they used to judge fights on a whole. I like the 10 point must system but I feel like more judges need to be better educated on it and not be afraid to give 10-8 rounds (BJ - Diego R1). This fight however was scored fine.

I would have scored the fight 10-9 10-9 8-10, which would have lead to a draw. I'm just saying. I do like judging the whole fight concept b/c the fight is for 3 5 minute rounds. Just b/c you win 2 doesn't mean you shouldwin the whole fight. Of course if Silva had of been more aggressive he might have won. I just wasn't impressed with Evans fight.

I though ufc 108 sucked. What freaking irritated me was rerunning the prelim fights again even though they just played it free on spike. Basically i paid $46.99 to watch 3 fights. Come on now joe lauzon the co main event?

I though ufc 108 sucked. What freaking irritated me was rerunning the prelim fights again even though they just played it free on spike. Basically i paid $46.99 to watch 3 fights. Come on now joe lauzon the co main event?

We (brother and I) went to watch it at a local sports bar. Ate a hamburger and drank some water. $10 a piece including tip. Not as fun as watching at the house but a heck of a lot cheaper.

Top Bottom