electronic tuners?

Sic_Rob

Reaction score
I bought an electronic uku tuner on Ebay about 2 months ago and it died after 3-4 weeks. I think it was just an EBAY piece of junk. Can the folks of UU please recomend a good reliable Ukulele tuner? Thanks

Last edited:
Ive got these two:
Intelli_Imt500.jpg
AromaTuner.showbimage-.jpg

Left is the Intelli IMT-500 and it's great. On the right is the "Aroma" AT-300U, which I believe is sometimes badged as a Kala KC02. That's also very accurate and surpringly good for such a cheap tuner.

I use them both all the time and they've been fine and also quite reasonable on battery life. Both tuners and the previous Cherubs I have owned all get a little inaccurate when the batteries start to go.

Good luck :)

i recommend your ears. the batteries never run out, plus it means you can hear perfect tones/notes properly which is invaluable in learning to play by ear.

The Crafter clip on pictured in a post above is good, but my best tuner is a Seiko SAT500, which can be tuned with ukes with pickups as well as not.
I hope to be able to crack perfect tuning by ear this year. I think the 'by ear' recommendation by grammy is the best one - Ha ha - I keep practicing, but still off by a long shot.

Ears are good, but a good digital tuner is unarguably superier for accuracy. I use a Boss Tu-80, its works great for uke's and has some good tuning options, its quite highly rated in reviews, check it out.

... I'm guessing you mean a portable tuner and not a foot pedal style one that you can have plugged in to a set up whilst playing

I bought an electronic uku tuner on Ebay about 2 months ago and it died after 3-4 weeks. I think it was just an EBAY piece of junk.

This might seem like an obvious question, but is it something simple like the battery having died? Lots of gadgets come with the cheapest one they can find, and some don't last long.

Unless yours was just plain defective (what brand was it?), even the cheapos should be pretty reliable, because there just isn't much of anything in them to break. You can't go wrong with any of the major brands like Sabine, Intelli, Korg or Seiko, but pretty much anything priced $16-25 should be just fine.

--Mark

I use a planet waves el cheapo, I think it cost $15.00. It's only necessary to get the G in tune and I'll tune the other strings relative to that. It's good to tune to a standard 'cause it helps your pitch memory.

I like the Kala KC-02 from MGM.

Not exactly a Peterson Strobe Tuner, but very cool.

I will also endorse the Kala KC02, been very happy with it. It has settings for C and D tuning as well as a chromatic. It is small, lightweight and has a easy to read display.

The 1 I have looks like the 1 one the Left. Maybe I should throw a new battery in to see if thats helps before buying a new 1. I never thought of changing the battery since it's only 2 months old. thanks for making me wake up my brain. Will let the thread know how it goes if I can find the battery. Thanks again

i recommend your ears. the batteries never run out, plus it means you can hear perfect tones/notes properly which is invaluable in learning to play by ear.

I would love to be able to do this. As it is, I can tune the strings relative to each other just fine, but hand me a totally slack-stringed uke and, without a tuner, everything can be off by a couple of steps. What would be good practice? Slacking the C string and tuning/checking over an over until one can nail it?

The 1 I have looks like the 1 one the Left. Maybe I should throw a new battery in to see if thats helps before buying a new 1.

That's an Intelli. The battery should be a CR2032, which is real easy to get for a buck or two each.

We really do live in a disposable society, don't we? :rolleyes:

--Mark

I like the Kala KC-02 from MGM.

Not exactly a Peterson Strobe Tuner, but very cool.

I agree witn RevWill. I have two of the Kala tuners and both have been working very well. One I bought in Hawaii the other
from MGM.

Thanks everyone for all of you suggestions and comments. I ended up ordering a ET-3000 Clip-on Tuner from Mike and Mainland. I ordered a new Concert from him so I orderd the tuner also after researching it. I found it on Amazon.com.UK it had 500 review. 495 of the reviews were 5 statrs and 5 reviews were given 4 stars. that was very impressive so I am giving it a try. I will post a review once I get my hands on both it and my new concert. thanks again.

I have used the Intelli IMT-500 daily for the past year. This is a very good tuner. Just had my first battery replacement (from Wall-mart). I don't think you will go wrong with this tuner.

I have the Kala KC and wont endorse it - problem with it is - the sensitivity of the needle is just too broad. I can get to tune (green light) and keep turning till the sound noticeably goes up before needle moves on.

am now using my guitar intelli tuner - much much more accurate.

Tuning by ear is also good practice. I always carry a good quality tuning fork in A with my guitars, and could tune a uke from that alone using string relativity

I started out with a IMT-500. it seemed to work fine for the first few weeks then it went nutz. It won't let me shut it off. It just stayed on until I took the battery out. I was going to try a new battery once I get a chance to find one but I also read the reviews on the 1 that Mike at Mainland offes. As I mentioned there were over 500 reviews. Not 1 review was less than 4 stars and at least 500 reviews were 5 stars. i will look for a batteray for the IMT-500 anyway just to see if that was the problem. Thanks for the comments.

I use the ear when it's just me sitting around playing alone or to songs on CDs and whatnot, especially to old recordings where the pitch can be a bit sharp or flat. But in noisy environments, like clubs and parties, or when other tuned instruments are involved I use a Boss tuner on the floor, daisy-chained with my pedals. When there's an audience, they don't need to hear someone tuning up, so the "silence is golden" rule comes into effect. I never liked having a tuner clipped on the headstock, so the Boss suits me - just a personal preference.

Top Bottom