From The Field: Ohana SKB-35, Sprucehouse S-O

pdxuke

Reaction score
I thought I'd post another quick entry in my "field guide" of ukes I've played in local shops. This weekend I sampled two.

OHANA SKB-35

OHM-SKB35-f_sm.jpg

I must admit to a fondness for the unusual, and a growing appreciation and fondness for Mahogany instruments. The SKB fits the bill on both accounts. I loved the bell shape. The all mahogany construction and matte finish, which I find I am also leaning towards as opposed to the gloss, make this an attractive instrument for the eyes.

Playing it was a pleasure as well. It felt balanced in my hand, and despite the fact that the body-box is not deep, it produced a very pleasing and mellow tone. Intonation was good.

MGM sells them in the $160 range. Me like.

SPRUCEWOOD S-O

new%20S-0%20weba.jpg

A Sprucewood is an all handbuilt instrument by a local luthier here in Oregon. A few weeks ago, when I was even more ignorant than I am now, I played one and was turned off by the knowledge that the top was a wood I had never heard of and the sides were laminate and it was rather plain (no bling) and almost $300. Well, I was and remain a fool.

Between then and now I have discovered Mahogany instruments in my two Ohanas. I have learned from MGM and Ken Middleton and others of the high quality laminates being used by some builders, like Kiwaya and Ohana. I have played some very plain looking vintage Martin mahogany instruments and learned that you can't judge a book by its cover. And I have learned that Sapele wood is a sustainable wood close to Mahogany.

It was with this increased knowledge that I had another look at the Sprucehouse, this time with a slightly more discerning eye--and I fell in love.

Visually, these ukes remind me of Martins from the 30s, and Gibsons too. This Sprucehouse is a hand made instrument, and varnished, and simply plain and beautiful.

And the sound--loud yet mellow. Sweet soprano traditional uke sound. Absolutely PERFECT intonation. All the way up. Low, easy action. Aquila strings standard. Wide enough fretboard to make playing this soprano a breeze. My only wish was that there was a logo (that pretty spruce cone) on the headstock. Finally, it comes complete with a hard case of extraordinary quality. I may even buy an extra one for an other uke.

In short, I could not put this down. I left the store and went back half hour later to buy it.

This handmade uke can compete any day with a Kwaya, which I've also played and liked. Mike at MGM had a custom built model with redwood top that he is selling. He was impressed, and I can see why.

You can order directly from Sprucehouse for $255 + shipping, including the case. Check it out.

Yes. And there's another one just like it (although I picked the one I liked of the two!)

Note that you can do better on price dealing directly with Sprucehouse. The price on the website is $255. The price at Artichoke was $295. When I discovered the website I wasn't happy about that, and I emailed Sprucehouse and told them so. He correctly pointed out that there was a shipping cost involved, and then told me the extra $20 or so difference was a dealer profit. I think that's an odd way to do business, to undercut your retail partners, but I'm happy to help keep Artichoke in business with an extra $20.

At any rate, Artichoke has and you can at least go play it there.

Top Bottom