Non Wood Uke

strings

Reaction score
The Low Humidity Monster has reared its ugly head here in Florida . Night temperatures have been falling into the 30 degree F. range, and tonight it will be much worse. Humidity in my home has dipped to 30 degrees . I've locked my new used koa uke in its case, and am reluctant to use it for fear of damage.

Anyone know of decent plastic or plastic like ukes being made? I have a Martin Parlor guitar constructed out of man made material(some kind of synthetic), and it sounds and plays great, some say as good as my wood Larrivee parlor guitar.

I would really like a uke I don't have to worry about in low humidity. Just one I can leave out, pick up, and play. then put down.

I hope someone out in Uke Land can help.

Thanks, and Happy New Year,

Strings

Last edited:
Laminates are not as problematic with humidity flucuations. A lot of the laminate ukes today sound pretty good too.

To be honest I think you are being a little to cautious with you uke, they are pretty durable instruments. I live in the DC area and I am sure the humidty in my place isthe same or lower than in yours and I still play my uke everyday. I just keep it in the case when I am not using it.

Amen to deach, I was just going to suggest the FLEA/FLUKE plastic/laminate 'ukuleles. I have one of each and can't praise them enough.

No need to panic, stop playing, or buy another uke just because the humidity drops.

1) buy a Herco case humidifier for under $5 and follow the instructions

2) play your uke as normal

3) when done playing put the uke back in the case

4) Don't worry, be happy!

Good advice here... I'm not a big fan of the way the Fleas/Flukes feel or sound, but you can drop-kick them from here to next week and they'll keep playing. I would get one for that reason alone. Someday...

get a room humidifier

I know it sounds strange to tell someone in FL to get a room humidifier, but I just bought one for $45 for use in GA.
It brings a fairly large room up to 45% RH from about 30% RH.
I won't need it after about March, but it sure is nice.

How about the plastic body Makala's? Hard to beat for under $50.

Thanks, Shane. The TV Pal is still available. A great buy for 20 bucks.

I would very much like this. Is it still available?

CountryMouse

Seriously - 30% RH isn't going to hurt anything while playing the uke - Spots was spot-on - play it, then put it back in a humidified case. No problems. Enjoy it!

The Low Humidity Monster has reared its ugly head here in Florida . Night temperatures have been falling into the 30 degree F. range, and tonight it will be much worse. Humidity in my home has dipped to 30 degrees . I've locked my new used koa uke in its case, and am reluctant to use it for fear of damage.

Anyone know of decent plastic or plastic like ukes being made? I have a Martin Parlor guitar constructed out of man made material(some kind of synthetic), and it sounds and plays great, some say as good as my wood Larrivee parlor guitar.

I would really like a uke I don't have to worry about in low humidity. Just one I can leave out, pick up, and play. then put down.

I hope someone out in Uke Land can help.

Thanks, and Happy New Year,

Strings

Want to raise the relative humidity, at least temporarily, in your house (or part of it)? Do some laundry, then hang it on hangers and put those on the shower rod (I'm going to be doing that tomorrow). Also do dishes (oh, I mean by hand, with a dish drainer where they sit and dry...usually takes only 2 hours when it's so dry!). Another thing (when laundry is dry): when someone takes a shower or bath, have them NOT use the exhaust fan and open the door as soon as they can decently do so. :)

The only ukulele I have that I worry about somewhat is my cigar box ukulele. My others are laminates; and everyone says they are fairly safe in lower humidity.

CountryMouse

Amen, hard to beat the value of a Dolphin.

I love my Dolphin(s)!

Pink
pink.jpg

and Blue
blue.jpg

..or how about a Watermelon? It's LOUD and fun!
melon.jpg

(They make Pineapples and Kiwis too!)

Right on - the Flea or Fluke. Ukes being historically Hawaiian instruments I would have thought would have "evolved" in the humid, tropical environment. All part of life for the gritty little fella's.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry humidify your case and take it out and play it when you want. It will be fine they are pretty durable. I'm sure many have been stored in attics where the temperatures can hit 130 F and drop to -10 and still be playable when rescued I have one that was in an attic here in Ohio since 1941. It it is fine and plays beautifully.

Top Bottom