Frets...?

Harry R

Reaction score
I'm almost finished building my CBU, but currently I have no frets, In stead I just cut grooves in the wood.
After I strung it I realised that it wouldn't work. What is the correct term for the small metal rods/in-lays that go where the frets are???

What you need is fret wire. When it is cut to length and pressed into the slots they are called frets. Here are some images to give you a better idea what they look like. Be aware that the slots have to be the proper width (typically around .023" to .025") in order to accept and hold the frets in. You'll also need a way to tap or press them in. Then of course they will need to be leveled and dressed in order that they will play properly. Good information on fretting can be found on Frank Ford's web site--www.frets.com

ahh yes, just googled "fret wire" and that's exactly what I need.
Would it not be possible to just glue them in ??

If your slots are the correct width, frets are normally pressed in or tapped in with a plastic mallet. If the slots are too narrow the "tang" won't seat. If they are too wide your fit will be sloppy but a bit of glue carefully applied might remedy that. However you get them in, remember they need to be LEVEL. This is probably the most critical step of your build.

Last edited:
If your slots are the correct width, frets are normally pressed in or tapped in with a plastic mallet. If the slots are too narrow the "tang" won't seat. If they are too wide your fit will be sloppy but a bit of glue carefully applied might remedy that. However you get them in, remember they need to be LEVEL. This is probably the most critical step of your build.

Yes, the fret dressing is the most critical part of the build. Wow you really went completely from scratch - good for you!!! A long long long time ago, I tried to build a guitar from scratch and botched the frets so badly, I ended up pulling them out, filling the slots with white epoxy, raising the action way up, and converting it to a slide guitar! You'll do better than I did, no doubt.

Good luck, and post some pics and a vid when you're done!

haha, thanks for the advice guys.
And yes, I will post a demo video with construction pics in a new thread when I'm finished (which probably will be next week)

Top Bottom