Amy I Crazy for Liking the Sound of This?

Paul December

Reaction score
Am I Crazy for Liking the Sound of This?

My 1st uke was this Kala Pineapple my wife got me less than a couple of years ago from MGM.
It's mahogany laminate, and was supposed to have Aquila strings (my strings are clear and all my other Aqulas are milky white).
I caught a bad case of UAS and got up to a ridiculous (for my level of playing) 7 ukes - all much more expensive than this one.
Recently I've sold-off all but 3, keeping this Kala as my only soprano. While not super loud, I wouldn't consider it a quiet uke.
It really has a nice tone, and is very playable. At the time I think it only cost $75, and they still go for less than $100
I don't know if it is because of its laminate construction, size or both, but this thing is stable! I leave it out on a shelf and here in Chicago where we have been going from 70%+ humidity down to 20% in the house and this thing stays in tune.

kpa.jpg
[stock pic]

Last edited:
If the sound makes you happy, you're not crazy at all!

If you like it and it works for what you are doing, I don't think you are crazy at all for being happy with it. I suspect a lot of folks want more ukes than their ability to play them would justify to some. I have seen the same thing (UAS) happen on my bicycle and welding forums. I sometimes think its that people think just another one will make their skills better than they are. Some just feel they like the sound of different types and sizes. Some people just love the instruments as beauty in themselves. Who can deny that they are works of art. That's ok too. At least on the mid to bottom end, ukes are so cheap that you can pretty much own one of each before deciding what you really like.

My level of playing is so low, that every uke I have ever picked up played better than me. Since I got my Flea, it has become my go-to uke. At my level, its way more than I need. I feel sort of bad for my Kala tenor, so I put a low G string on it this weekend. I still don't enjoy playing it as much as the Flea, but perhaps I will grow tired of the Flea. Fortunately, my UAS is satiated for the moment. I should probably steer clear of playing any really superb ukes, lest covetousness rear its ugly head.

Last edited:
I still have my first pineapple from 12 years ago a laminate Mahalo, and with Aquila strings she sings very happily, has fine intonation, and action. I guess I have a sentimental attachment to this 'ukulele. I have more expensive solid wood 'ukuleles but this one is special just like your Kala pineapple.

Top Bottom