Dampit Humidifier While Playing?

Paul December

Reaction score
Any value in leaving this humidifier in the uke while playing?
Parts of my home are insanely dry (Chicago)... and wondering if just dropping the whole thing in while playing would be of any value. It's made of rubber so doesn't rattle while playing. Would humidity inside/outside the uke just equalize through the sound hole quickly and I just shouldn't bother?

A1395v02.jpg

What we've been doing further north in Minnesota is just keep all the ukes in one room with a humidifier and a hygrometer and keeping an eye on both. It ends up fluctuating a a bit between 50-60% which is probably overdoing it a bit, but it seems like where it's just going to stay if the humidifier is running. It also just seems to work better for me to take care of the whole lot at once that way. I just forget to soak the case ones.

The added benefit is that we're both a lot less itchy during the winter.

I have one in my OU5 and just leave it in all the time. Doesn't seem to affect sound quality.

As someone else mentioned, I leave the end sticking out, clipped to a string. It is a little hassle though, taking it out each time I pick up the instrument to play it. (Can't be left there. Would stop a string from vibrating.)

So, the idea of putting it all the way in, and leaving it there, sounds convenient. However, I would be concerned--once you push it all the way in, and it might move away from the soundhole, how do you get it out, when the instrument is stringed? That could be a major hassle. and one has to remove it every week or so to freshen with more water.

For those who put it all the way in---how do you get it out? (Sorry if that sounds dirty! ;-) )

Another question, for those who use dampits in ukes. (I so far only have a couple in guitars, thinking of getting them for ukes now too.)

Which size dampit do you use in a uke?

The mandolin dampit is advertised as also being for uke.

But it looks like the violin dampit (perhaps even viola) would work as well.

The price on violin dampits is significantly lower than for mandolin dampits.

Which model do you find works well with a concert uke?

I always take the Dampit out before playing. And I never push the whole thing down into the soundhole, because whenever it's fallen into the soundhole, it's been a pain to get it back out again.

I use the violin size in several of my ukes (well Humitron's, basically the same thing) with no problems. I usually hook the end to a string, but have had them fall in and it's no problem to shake them over to the soundhole to get it out. They seem to work well but do need regular servicing up here in the high desert.

Top Bottom