Looking for a tenor ukulele: Budget is $500

Krsnik87

Reaction score
I'm still new to the ukulele and have been playing a Lanikai LU-21T but the tone/sustain just isn't cutting it for me... Even after this short time I know this is an instrument I'll be sticking with so I want to invest something a little more up market.

What brands/models should I be looking at?

Coming from Ireland there isn't a single shop in the country that sells ukulele's so unfortunately I don't have the pleasure of trying before I buy :(

Thanks!

I'll be concentrating on classical fingerstyle though I'd be looking for more of an all rounder.

I won't know what sound I'm looking for till I find it, thats why I'd like to get a few names in and around the budget that I can check them out and have a listen!

Cheers.

You know for my :2cents:...I'd check out MGM, and look at the test vids he does, he has some sweet hookups in your price range, and he can probably test it for you with any strings etc you want. He has the best selection I've seen...and trust me I was/am a UAS Hoe!
:wtf:

Last edited:
Still hunting!

I've narrowed down my requirements to a solid wood (top, sides and back) cut away with a pre amp, its proving hard to find. Kala have a lacewood instrument thats close but the tone doesn't quite suit my ears, I dunno why... I was listening to an Ohana TK-75CG, reallllllly sweet tone but a bit above budget if I bought a pickup to add...

Any other idea's?

Thanks again...

@jonnyonauke: I'm down south!

Last edited:
but the tone doesn't quite suit my ears, I dunno why...

" but the tone doesn't quite suit my ears, I dunno why..."

I'm wondering how many sets of strings did you try on the above uke? I'm trying different strings on my KoAloha and every set gives me different tone. I like them all, Hilo black, Worth CL, Aquilla, Ko'olau gold and I've still to try the brown Worth strings. It's hard to judge a uke until you own it. Too many variables. Like getting married I suppose, you take your chances and make the best of what you've got. :)

Jude

I heard it with a set of worth and aquilla, something about it doesn't suit me, I'm not gonna take a gamble based on that!

Ideally the instrument would sound good no matter what I put on it.

Seeing as you're still new to the uke, what about an upgraded fluke? Even a basic Koa Tenor Fluke is $459, or you can get a standard one with a bunch of trimmings, e.g.

* Bamboo Fluke - $238.00
* Tenor (17 inch scale) - $20.00
* Rosewood Fretboard w/Aquila strings - $79.00
* K & K Soundboard Transducer - $75.00
* Peghed geared tuners - $69.00

Total: $481

(I'd probably ditch the pickup and get the case, actually)

Just a thought... Also keep in mind shipping costs.

It may not meet all of your requirments but, I don't think you can do better than a fluke for your budget.

I just had a listen to a demo, my jaw hit the floor when I heard the koa fluke... I think I'm gonna have to stretch the budget a little to get the pickup in there but I think I found my new uke...

Thanks a lot!

*does dance*

Top Bottom