School Project?

ukeCANjam

Reaction score
So in my Design Tech class, I have a final project coming up. The teacher is letting us design and build anything that we feel is helpful to anyone or yourself. Naturally, I want to make a ukulele :eek:.

Any idea's on what design to do? Or just stick to a CBU, although it wouldn't be that hard right?

Can anyone, (luthiers!) give me a heads up on where to start?

Thanks!:cheers:

I would suggest that you compare as many different uke designs as you can. Identify some design features that appeal to you and incorporate these features into a unique design of your own. If you look at the thread on building an arch top ukulele and send me an email, I can send you the plans I made. You may get some ideas from them.
Brad

I would suggest that you compare as many different uke designs as you can. Identify some design features that appeal to you and incorporate these features into a unique design of your own. If you look at the thread on building an arch top ukulele and send me an email, I can send you the plans I made. You may get some ideas from them.

I was thinking about a CBU, except it seems a little simple, just designing a neck and all. I was thinking about making a pineapple uke :drool:, because the shape is a little easier to shape? My teacher has common tools like saws and clamps, but I wouldn't be too sure about bending the sides.

Is there a specific way or jig I need to bind the sides? Or is there an easier way?

I was thinking about a CBU, except it seems a little simple, just designing a neck and all. I was thinking about making a pineapple uke :drool:, because the shape is a little easier to shape? My teacher has common tools like saws and clamps, but I wouldn't be too sure about bending the sides.

Is there a specific way or jig I need to bind the sides? Or is there an easier way?

If you look back over the last three months worth of posts or so, you'll find a thread on almost any topic related to uke building you can think of. That doesn't mean you'll find all your answers there, but it's a good place to start. For instance, there are at least a couple threads on bending sides, including simple ideas to build your own bending iron (3 inch pipe in a vise with a 100 watt bulb inside it, for instance). As for the simplicity of a CBU, it is relatively simple, but there can be more to it than just a neck, particularly if you want to add a quality soundboard (top) to the uke. Either way there is bracing to consider, not to mention the fretboard, which is a make or break part of the uke, as well as bridge placement, etc. So while making a CBU is easy, it's also easy to screw it up. Read some of those old posts and figure out what is involved in both builds and then talk to your instructor about them and get his opinion. It may be that building a CBU isn't enough of a project, and building a "whole" uke is too much of one. Don't wait to find out, though, or you could find yourself screwed.

I will send you the plans I have done for the arch top ukes. You will notice that one of the designs does not require bending the sides. The number of body shapes that can be built by this simple method is only limited by your imagination. You want to do a flying V, go for it. Some design criteria to look at are; body shape, materials, size, scale length, number of strings, bridge design, tuners, bracing patterns, soundholes, number of necks, and string material. There are enough variables in that list to keep you occupied.
Brad

I'm not quite familiar with Design Tech and what such a subject would involve, so maybe you specify a bit?

I had something called Design & Production a couple of years back, and I suspect it is somewhat the same.
If I were to make a ukulele for such a project I would:
1) Look at different ukulele design and compare them to find ups and downs.
2) Then I would think of ways of making the perfect ukulele design.
3) Build it and put your design to the test.
4) And at last I would evaluate, and explain why it works so fantastic or why it don't (In the subject I had it was okay to make a big failure project. If only you could explain why it failed, and how you could be done better)

Do you have to make a written assignment about the project??
Don't limit yourself when making the ultimate ukulele design. If it turns out to have bend sides, I'm sure you'll find a way to bend them. Just search here on the forum, there should be something.

Good luck with the project :)

You might try a semi-hollow or solid body electric instrument. Not only could you be creative in the design of the body but also the electronics package. Maybe use LED's in the fingerboard dots or make it MIDI compatible.

Top Bottom