Still up in the air on my first uke

Fitzy

Reaction score
It's been over a week since I posted my "which uke to buy" thread and I'm still on the fence.

Initially, I had it down to two choices: a Mainland classic mahogany concert or a Kala solid acacia. The responses from you guys were great and I appreciate the feedback and advice. However, I've decided to reconsider my budget and get something just a little less expensive for my first ukulele. I have a feeling this isn't going to be my first so I can always look forward to working my way up and some day getting a Mainland or solid wood Kala.

So, now to the new dilemma. Here are the ukes I'm looking at now - all Kalas. It's going to be one of these and I'm planning to pull the trigger and buy one of these three within the next couple of weeks.

1. Kala KA-FMC concert w/case and shipping: roughly $245

2. Kala KA-KC concert w/case & shipping: roughly $229

3. Kala KA-SC concert w/case & shipping: $159

So, the question to you guys and gals: Which one of these three sweet mid-priced Kalas do you think I should be holding in my hands in a couple of weeks???

The KA-SC is perfectly fine, it's what I'm currently playing for my main uke. The SC means it's a spruce top, KC is a cedar top, and FMC is a Flamed Spalted Maple (what a mouthful) with a spruce top... by any measure the SC is more than plenty for a beginner/first uke, and the slightly lower KA-C as suggested by redwingz30 would also be plenty to start with. You basically can't go wrong with Kala, so pick whichever one you're comfortable buying... remembering of course that you would also be well served to set aside some budget for a (e)book or two as well as a tuner (very important!)

Last edited:
Hold on there young lad! There is a Mainland mahogany for sale in The Marketplace here on UU. Check it out before you do anything. If you buy it, both of you guys win.

Top Bottom