What pickguard to use?

aviezero

Reaction score
I saw Aldrine had a clear pickguard, but I didn't know if it was a permanent one or static cling. I've seen the Kling-On and generic PVC kind but everybody says they fall off. My uke is getting quite scratched up. Any recommendations?

I hate to be that guy, but you shouldn't use a pick! no pick means no pick guard to. I know it's hard to get used to not using one (especially if you come from a guitar background) but uke's have nylon strings so your fingers don't get too torn up if you play even for a long time. Beyond that it's best not to because it's a lot easier to pick (ironically) with a pick, you can hit more than one string at a time and use techniques like chunking

I agree. I meant to say my fingernails are hitting and scratching. I never have been able to use a pick on any instrument.

Coming from the world of geetar players, it took me a while to get used to playing without a pick. Now I never use one on the uke. If I were to use a pick it would be a traditional felt pick or a rubber Wedgie. But that's assuming you use a pick. You could very well be scratching it up with long fingernails and aggressive technique.

Someone here has experimented with screen protectors like you'd put on an iPhone or BlackBerry. I don't know how that's turning out or whether there is a chemical reaction in the long run between the uke's finish and the protector.

Have you tried using some automotive rubbing compound on your scratches? That can often buff 'em right out.

And to further muddy the mix, an instrument with a worn finish from actual playing just looks cool and adds loads of vibe or mojo or mana or whatever you want to call it. It is designed to make music, not be preserved in a museum.

I'm going to try one of my extra iPhone covers. Thanks for the idea.

The Kling-On protectors work great....Two points to remember though: 1: Don't keep them on for an extended period of time if your instrument is less than 6 months old as the finish may not be fully hardened to prevent damage from the Kling-On. Even though there is no adhesive on the Kling-On, the finish can still be damaged if it is not fully cured!! 2: Since the Kling-On is a static-cling type of device, you should remove it periodically and put it back on the paper thing it comes on for a day or so, then re-apply for maximum stickiness :) Truth be told, I wouldn't suggest leaving them on anyway as they are so easily attached and removed! Why risk damaging your top when you are trying to protect it?

My extra iPhone cover is now cut and stuck on. It's a static one too. It seems to work great so far. Holds well to my glossy finish.

I know what you mean, but here's my two cents: What's more unsightly, a well worn surface or an iPhone cover? Scratches are like "love marks" to me. Take a look at Willie Nelson's guitar some time. The thing looks like termites have chewed through it! Glad you found a solution, though. I'll pass it on to next one looking to protect their uke. Sounds like a good one.

Top Bottom