I'm looking for a Soprano

Paul December

Reaction score
Any suggestions of a soprano that fits the following criteria?
- Soprano Size
- Geared Tuners
- Solid Top (or all solid)
- I like the tone & sustain of my Mahogany, but am open to other woods
- Projects well
- Around $250
So far, the only ukes I could find are by Mainland: Mahogany Soprano & Pineapple Soprano. Both are very nice, but I already have a Mainland concert mahogany, and would like to mix-things-up with another brand. I'd also consider the Mainland Cedar, but fear it would be too bright for my tasts.

Anyone play a KALA KA FMS Maple SOPRANO Ukulele solid Spruce top?
...probably bright like a cedar?

Get a Mainland Mango soprano. Mango isn't bright like the red cedar. My Mango concert from Mainland is my favorite uke to play right now.

Also- why do you want geared tuners? I find that the sealed geared tuners on my Mainland mahogany soprano make the uke top-heavy. Also the tuners get in the way of my left hand when I play Gdim and other chords. I just ordered some peg tuners from Mike today to replace the geared ones.

Anyone play a KALA KA FMS Maple SOPRANO Ukulele solid Spruce top?
...probably bright like a cedar?
I had a KA FMS for a little while. It was drop-dead gorgeous, but way too bright for my tastes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SALE-LACEWOOD-S...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4cecdf6358
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ohana-SOPRANO-s...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a564eaa5d (at that price you could install geared tuners or have Michael install them and stay within budget.)

Or you might consider a Mainland Mango! I hear good things.

I looked at those two.... the Lacewood/Sruce is satin finish, and am concerned it would be too bright souding. As for the Ohana, thanks, I did't consider having the tuners changed.

I'm totally happy with my Cedar/Rosewood pineapple with geared MOP tuners. I think the larger sound board (top) of the pineapple cuts down on the brightness mellows it down a tad in comparison to standard soprano. Did I tell you I like pineapples?

I'm totally happy with my Cedar/Rosewood pineapple with geared MOP tuners. I think the larger sound board (top) of the pineapple cuts down on the brightness mellows it down a tad in comparison to standard soprano. Did I tell you I like pineapples?

I'm glad you replied, because I noticed you had one in a previous post. I too like the pineapple shape :)
How would you describe the difference in sound between your Cedar pineapple and a regular shaped soprano Mahogany?

I looked at those two.... the Lacewood/Sruce is satin finish, and am concerned it would be too bright souding. As for the Ohana, thanks, I did't consider having the tuners changed.

Mainland sells geared tuners for about 22 bucks + shipping. Or maybe someone here has swapped some out for friction and is willing to sell or deach you their old ones.

I'm glad you replied, because I noticed you had one in a previous post. I too like the pineapple shape :)
How would you describe the difference in sound between your Cedar pineapple and a regular shaped soprano Mahogany?

I don't own a regular shaped Mahogany 'ukulele, I have a Koa, a Guava, and a Acacia all of which are a denser wood than Mahogany. I'm trying to trade my Acacia for a Mahogany pineapple.
I'm guessing you'd still get a slight advantage in brightness with the Cedar.

Here's a great review from Boozelele of his Mainland MANGO pineapple which he seems to be very happy with. MANGO a great option. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEeKW5RQv2w

Any suggestions of a soprano that fits the following criteria?
- Soprano Size
- Geared Tuners
- Solid Top (or all solid)
- I like the tone & sustain of my Mahogany, but am open to other woods
- Projects well
- Around $250
So far, the only ukes I could find are by Mainland: Mahogany Soprano & Pineapple Soprano. Both are very nice, but I already have a Mainland concert mahogany, and would like to mix-things-up with another brand. I'd also consider the Mainland Cedar, but fear it would be too bright for my tasts.

I suggest you check out www.meleukulele.com great handmade ukuleles.

Top Bottom