Confused with new strings

Wiles

Reaction score
I recieved a fender Hau'Oli ukulele for Christmas but the strings were pretty horrible so I went out in search of new ones.I bought Pro Arte Tenor ukulele strings and inside were classical guitar string.

:confused:

To make things more confusing the notes on the packages aren't even the same as the ukulele is s'posed to be tuned to. There are two Es, a B and a G on the individual packaging, but on the outside it says there is A,E,C,G!

:confused:

So my question is - is d'addario just so cheap that they don't even bother packaging strings for ukulele in proper packaging or did I get the wrong strings?

It sounds like they're being cheap, but you probably got the right strings. For the Uke strings GCEA, I'd use EGBE in that order.

So my question is - is d'addario just so cheap that they don't even bother packaging strings for ukulele in proper packaging or did I get the wrong strings?

Yes, they ought to package them better, but they are very good strings. They produce a really pure, clear note, but with punch.

Thanks a bunch. You guys saved me from what could have been an embarrassing trip back to the music store.

I re-strung it for the first time today and the new strings sound much nicer than the ones it came with. How long does it usually take for the strings to stretch out and stay in tune? Will playing it help break in the new strings? It is kindof hard for me to practice when it goes out of tune so quickly.

I also use the D'Addarios Porte Arte's on my Kala Sprucetop Concert Ukulele and my Pono Solid Mahogany Concert Ukulele. The time for the strings to stretch is about 1-2 weeks in order to stay in tune. Yes, playing it will help break in the new strings. Hope that helps.

I use the J71's and never had a problem figuring what string is what. Here's what I found, the back of the packaging lists the strings (AECG) along with the diameters. The individual string package has the diameter in the upper right corner. It's not rocket science and it's just a matter of taking the time to find the info. As far as stretching out, usually takes about 7 -10 days though YMMV.

Top Bottom