holding the uke?

pipi

Reaction score
I just can't figure out how to hold me ukulele. I've watched videos on youtube and looked at the dvd it came with but i just can't get it righ. It always seems to slip down as i change chords and just feels generally uncomfortable. Also how straight do you hold it? I heard somewhere that it should be practically vertical and in other places it should be in paralell to the floor. Any help, please?

I'm struggling with the same problem and I've been playing for about 5 months. I have a concert and I am in fact finding it easier now to hold it horizontallyl with my bicep cushioning it and having my arm across the uke horizontally while strumming. It's taking a long time to get used to it but it's slowly progressing.

Last edited:
Hold it however is comfortable to you. Just try to cradle it in the crook of your arm, gently pressing as little of the back as possible to your chest. Strum wherever your hand lands. Some folks here have lots of difficulty doing that so you're not alone - and their solution is generally a uke thong.

I hold mine at an angle 45ish degrees or so. I just hold it against my body with light pressure using my right forearm and strumming the strings in the middle between nut and saddle just a tad above where the neck meets the body, don't try and strum over the sound hole unless you have a tenor. I hold the neck between thumb and index finger base knuckle of left hand.

Is your last name Kaula by any chance? :cool:

I heard the best sound comes from holding it against the chest at 180 degrees. I barely squeeze the end with my elbow.

Sometimes I let it sit on my lap, but that's when I'm not as energized.

Ok cool thanks for the help! I'll try out a few of those things and see what suits...practise makes perfect i spose!

Is your last name Kaula by any chance? :cool:
me? no, not even close!:p Sorry

Why do you say that? Is it because it is bigger?

I play mainly sopranos and concerts which due to their size makes strumming the center of strings much easier while holding against body with forearm near elbow. With the larger tenor the same hold places my right hand futher down towards body. Of course physical size and proportions of individuals is different so YMMV.

I'm just a newbie, but my Kala thinline tenor seems to be fairly easy to hold cradled lightly between my chest and forearm.

Will

This is similar to a question I have about holding my uke; I always feel like when I am switching chords I am going to drop the uke. I then find my self adjusting and putting a 1-2 second lag between strums.

The answer is to use a strap. It will change your life!

:agree: :agree:

You took the words right out of my mouth. I played for about 18 months before getting a strap. Changed EVERYTHING for me...for the better. So much easier to play and so much more comfortable. Plus you can do other stuff without having to put your uke down everytime. :D

Seems like cheating : (

Why would that be cheating? After all, we're the Underground here--anything goes! :) Just do whatever makes it comfortable for you to play. I gave up after trying many things and now have straps on all my ukuleles. Well, waiting for one for my newest one. But you get the idea. I tend to hold my ukulele at a 45 degree angle. But just experiment--everyone is different. And everyone is BUILT differently too!

CountryMouse

I prop mine on my "organic ukulele support device" (i.e. big belly) and play away.

:agree: :agree:

You took the words right out of my mouth. I played for about 18 months before getting a strap. Changed EVERYTHING for me...for the better. So much easier to play and so much more comfortable. Plus you can do other stuff without having to put your uke down everytime. :D

It worked for me too :) beforehand I struggled with forming the chords and keeping the uke still. A strap gave me greater control and helped me alot during the early stages.
I have designed my own, a simple single point support and adjustable so I can use with different ukes and play standing or sitting. Friends seem to like them, so I have put a few on ebay. Please have a look, let me know what you think.

Regards
Mike

Attachments

• SS851287resized.jpg
    SS851287resized.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 13
  • SS851255resized.jpg
    SS851255resized.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 14
I don't think there is anything wrong with using a strap. It actually makes everything better... the ease of placement of the fingers on the fingerboard, the freeing up of the strumming arm and the ability to hold the uke without muting the soundbox so much. If you don't want to drill holes for strap buttons, and want to gain a good deal of neck support without changing your uke, check out my Uke Leash.
http://ukeleash.com A sound hole hook solution might help you keep the uke on your chest, but it won't hold the neck in position for you (especially if you have a head heavy instrument).
–Lori

Another vote for a strap! I'm a noob, too, but I'm always amazed when I watch Jake plan sans strap. You'll note, however, that when he gets "serious", he sits, right leg crossed atop left, 'uke's on the right thigh. That works for me, too (but only for my concert), but I rarely sit on a stool to play. On my soprano, I use a shoestring. On the bottom end of the 'uke, I put a peel&stick wire retainer. Other shoestring end is tied to headstock. A wire retainer is a peel&stick pad with a hook. They're used in auto stereo installs, etc., to hold wires routed out of the way. (Radio shack, et. al.) Soprano's so light it works fine.

Example: http://www.cablecraft.co.uk/ProductGrp/self_adhesive_cable_clips

jeff

Top Bottom