ISO: Pono PTO

rockthemike

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was really excited to receive my first ukulele this week, a Fender Pa'ina ukulele. I thought I'd love it but am thinking more and more that the sound it's producing is not what I'm looking for. The pickup is nice and it feels light and easy to play but I'm not in love with what I'm hearing.

Anyway, after some looking around, I think a Pono PTO might be more up my alley. Was wondering if anyone had one up for sale or knew a good place to purchase one. I paid around 200 for my Fender though I'm looking to spend no more than 300ish.

Let me know and thanks!

Michael

Hey everyone,

I was really excited to receive my first ukulele this week, a Fender Pa'ina ukulele. I thought I'd love it but am thinking more and more that the sound it's producing is not what I'm looking for. The pickup is nice and it feels light and easy to play but I'm not in love with what I'm hearing.

Anyway, after some looking around, I think a Pono PTO might be more up my alley. Was wondering if anyone had one up for sale or knew a good place to purchase one. I paid around 200 for my Fender though I'm looking to spend no more than 300ish.

Let me know and thanks!

Michael

Contact ukerepublic here or www.ukerepublic.com he'll take care of you.

Thanks. I sent an email using the contact form on his site! Out of curiosity, has anyone had experience with either the Fender on any Pono tenors? I've been youtubeing a ton of ukulele videos and came across Ian Axel's song "Say Something" He seems to be playing a darker wood pono and its very close to the sound I'm looking for.

Thanks. I sent an email using the contact form on his site! Out of curiosity, has anyone had experience with either the Fender on any Pono tenors? I've been youtubeing a ton of ukulele videos and came across Ian Axel's song "Say Something" He seems to be playing a darker wood pono and its very close to the sound I'm looking for.

I had a Mango 8 string and am looking at getting a mahaghany/spruce top Pono from UkeRepublic. I'll search for the video and try to figure out what type of wood his uke has.

This video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfEaRDsyUO8&feature=fvw looks like a koa pono. I could be wrong. I don't think it is a mahaghany uke but another video might have been a mahaghany uke. pono no longer makes the koa line though. If you want a koa tenor comparable to Pono then I'd say check out Honu (big island) which ukerepublic carries or www.meleukulele.com (my second favorite ukulele company after koaloha).

Last edited:
thanks for the response! yeah i can't tell if it's koa or mahogany but it has that rich koa look.

I just got new strings for my Fender today to see if that helped... the difference was slight in the sound but still not what I'm looking for. The sound in that video just seems so full and I feel like that might be the difference going to Pono from Fender. The Fender seems like it would be good for someone with a little more pick-oriented playing

I've been thinking a PTO-E might be a nice way to go for what I'm looking for. I'm pretty new to the ukulele scene but I'm guessing whatever uke he has is playing with a low G. Maybe thats contributing to the sound I'm missing as well

In order to get a Pono (new) tenor. You will need to raise your budget. I'm not sure of thier price range. If it is koa that you want, then an alternative would be Kala solid acacia line. Very nice ukulele and it is in your price range.

thanks for the response! yeah i can't tell if it's koa or mahogany but it has that rich koa look.

I just got new strings for my Fender today to see if that helped... the difference was slight in the sound but still not what I'm looking for. The sound in that video just seems so full and I feel like that might be the difference going to Pono from Fender. The Fender seems like it would be good for someone with a little more pick-oriented playing

I've been thinking a PTO-E might be a nice way to go for what I'm looking for. I'm pretty new to the ukulele scene but I'm guessing whatever uke he has is playing with a low G. Maybe thats contributing to the sound I'm missing as well

The low g really adds something. I have a tenor strung low g and I have been playing it like crazy last few weeks. I also recently changed strings on it and am really digging the sound.

Hi - have a brand new PTO in my store with pickup, for a bit more than your budget though, so if you're happy to spend a bit more, PM me. I am in Australia...

Top Bottom