Low-budget pickups...?

I didn't know where to get the piezo transducer, when I wanted to do this project.
But I found one of those annoying Christmas ties that can play a tune. I found the little
melody box and took it apart. And inside there is a piezo transducer. So if you got an
old music playing tie you can spare, then you already got half of what you need.

When I put it together I was quite surprised, I actually works very well.. So good luck :)

In the old days we used to get one half of a set of headphones and clamp that to the guitar sound board..a mate of mine cut the head off an old gramaphone pickup and stabbed the needle into his guitar and that worked as well.

cool thanks guys. I decided to order one on ebay in stead of making my own. Can they be installed internally? I dont really want ugly wires everywhere

I got the piezo at Radioshack.

Harry R, the same site shows how to install the pickup. I would assume it is pretty much the same, but I don't know much about pickup installation aside from these cheapo piezo pickups. Did you still get a piezo pickup?

Thanks, Dave. Thats really helpful :)

I've made a few, they are easy, one thing I have noticed is that the piezo picks up EVERYTHING, from my fingers brushing the back side of the neck, to my daughter talking to me from a foot or two a way. It is SUPER easy to make, you might even get away with making one without soldering if you are sneaky. But as for me and mine, we will use the solder. I saw a video of a guy putting a pot on his piezo, and thats a sharp idea, that way you can cut back on the sound output at the uke. I am putting another one in a cheap soprano, I will try and video it, its pretty easy and straight forward stuff.....
buzzer@ the shack = $3
1/4" jack = $3 for 2
having your wife come out of the bed room at 1:30 in the morning saying, "seriously? turn it down." = priceless.

i play my small uke on a cigar box amp i built and its too fun......amp number 2 has vol gain and tone pots with a grit mode.. will fire that one up soon...

I've seen a guy that smooshes the piezo between two thin pieces of wood, and I think that helps to make it less sensitive to all the other vibrations. They are cheap enough that you can experiment a lot.

If anyone is having trouble getting a hold of the supplies, I made an extra one and would be happy to send it to you if you PM me your address.

Top Bottom