The Applause UAE20?

Ritloof

Reaction score
Heyja!

I was wondering, as I would like a cheap (but good) Uke, whether anyone has had any experience with this Uke, Applause UAE20, or if anyone know anything about it?

http://www.music123.com/Applause-UA...-Deluxe-Mini-Ukulele-516727-i1149076.Music123

I want (NEED!) a knew one (preferably acoustic/electric) and this is within my price range, so?
Or do you even know about anything in the same price range but even better? :)

-Ritloof

Last edited:
My first uke was also a UAE20. I had an Ovation mandolin and it seemed like a perfect step to transition to uke. I still have it and probably always will. I changed to Aquila strings and I really like this uke. It travels with me in a truck camper tucked up on the bed and hangs on a wall hanger at home (I never got a case or bag). It's fairly bulletproof. Easy playing and you can amp it if you like. Minor glitches IMO are that the peg head shape makes it difficult to find a spot for a clip on tuner so I plug a sabine into the jack. The head also makes me have to adjust my hand a bit for some chords in the first position but I have really large hands. It may not be a problem for you. Intonation on mine is spot on. It's the only soprano I have played so my opinion may be slanted but I like it.

Everybody likes something different but,,, I ordered one & sent it back,after comparing the volume to the uke I had. If your gonna plug it in, I bet its good , but just my opinion , I would go for a Flea if you want a plastic body.

Had one of the old Made in Korea ones - loved it but stupidly let it go. Got the new Made in China version and was not at all happy with the acoustic sound.

I have a tenor that I've strung with Aquillas low G and I love it. Sounds great when amped up. The only thing I don't like is changing the battery. It takes alot of patience because it's so hard to get the battery case lined up properly to secure it. Also there is no on/off switch so the battery starts losing power as soon as it's changed.

i have one. i have to say i was a little disapointed. then again i was expecting the aue148 which i finally got and loved it. the small one doesn't really produce the sound i wanted. i think its the sound hole design. but great for travel! the larger one oddly did ok (only ok though) accousticlly and is great plugged in. i use it when playing straight reggae. no picking. i wud suggest a kala or lanikai for around the same price and i think you'll be happerier...if thats a word.

My dad was a bluesman and played an Ovation Adamas in the same red color that this little uke. Makes it pretty much irresistible to me.

its more electric than an acoustic-electric.
sounds very quiet acoustically, but has good electronics.

if you want a satisfying acoustic instrument, this is not it :)
I would go with a Kala KA-CE or KA-TE from MGM for an affordable acoustic-electric.

Well, I decided to buy it and can't say I regret it; I like it a lot!
I was, though, thinking about changing the strings as I find them kind of clammy, if you know what I mean.
That isn't so hard, is it?

String changing is quite a standard procedure for all ukulele players.

Try putting Aquila brand strings on it, and it should make it sound brighter. Detailed string changing instructions are available here:
http://ukuleleunderground.com/2008/02/18/uke-minutes-5-article-how-to-re-string-your-ukulele/

Make sure you buy the correct strings for your ukulele size.
And keep in mind that immediately after restringing, they will go out of tune a lot for about a week due to stretching :)

Ritloof, Happy to see you took the plunge. There really aren't many acoustic/electric sopranos out there. And you found it a a decent price. Try a set of Aquila nylgut strings. Easy to change and should sound and play better. Congrats!

Alright, thanks a lot!
I will go tomorrow and buy a set of Aquila strings for my Uke.
Thanks again! :)

Top Bottom