Cutaway Ukes - Your Thoughts - FOR or AGAINST

brUKEman

Reaction score
I am going to purchase a new tenor uke. I am leaning towards the cutaway mainly because I like the looks of them. I was told the sound is similar with or without the cutaway. I know that it will be easier to reach the notes way up the neck, but I probably will never use those notes anyway. Are they as comfortable to play as a full tenor (Hand Position wise). I know they are not considered traditional. I would appreciate any thoughts from people who have owned them...

I own a G-String Tenor uke myself (shown below). Personally, I love the look of it, reminds me of an acoustic guitar (i started out playing guitar first).
Truth is at the time I was all bugged out on James Hill and wanted something similar hehe.

Now, do I regret going for a cutaway even though I don't actually use it? No not at all. I think it looks pretty sharp!
Having said that, if I was to do it all over again would I get it? Probably not. Looks cool but I don't make use of it and I've learned to appreciate a classic uke-shaped body.

My next uke (when ever that is) won't have a cutaway.

Last edited:
Jake Shimabukuro doesn't seem to need one, so who would I be kidding....

i like them for baritones only

I have a tenor uke with a cut-away. At first I thought I was against cut-aways, but I went for it anyways because I got it at such a great price.

Now I'm glad I have a cut-away cuz I actually do use it. And it's kind of silly to set the value of a ukulele or a uke player based on if it has a cut-away or not.

I REALLY think it's a matter of what looks good to you. I bought one because they look cool and mine sounds great, but I don't play it so I'm selling it... Pono PKTC (all Koa) w/ Ko'olau Case for $495 + shipping! PM me if your're interested.

PICT0546.jpgPICT0547.jpgPICT0549.jpg

I rarely use the frets up there but wish I had a cutaway when I do. I'm not a fan of the looks, but could work with it for the easier use of the higher frets.

My thoughts? definitely FOR

Sure, you might not use than often, but eventually, you may need those frets. With the cutaway, it's all the more easier. I haven't noticed any difference in sound between my cutaway, and non-cutaway tenors.

Plus, I think it looks sweet. This is basically a matter of what you think looks good. :)

The whole idea of a cutaway on a uke is recent, and just a bit of copying a guitar. It is just fashion, and only convenient if you are a monster lead player and always using those very high frets. For most of us it simply is not necessary on a uke, detracts from the looks and slightly diminishes the tone by removing a bit of what is already a tiny soundbox. For a Les Paul or a strat or telecaster, fine. Maybe it might help some really advanced, all over the neck players like James Hill, but for everyone here it is no advantage. Look at the history of ukuleles and see how modern this is. It's all about marketing. As a serious player, I own long neck concerts and tenors, to give me the access if I need it without losing tone.

Last edited:
When I was shopping for my current 'ukulele I wanted a cutaway. What I learned is that they are hard to come by. No matter what level instrument you are looking for you won't have many options. I can think of two models you can buy off the top of my head: a Kala in the $400 range and James' signature for however many thousands that goes for. As for others, David Kamakahi has the only Koaloha with a cutaway I know of. For how much most people play up there (you will have to asses if you think you will use it - or if you even like any of the few models available), I think it would probably be worth it for you to just go without and have many more options to fit your budget.

Maybe it might help some really advanced, all over the neck players like James Hill, but for everyone here it is no advantage.

Actually James doesn't use a cut away for extra finger room for his left hand, but rather he uses it for his *right hand*. If you watch James Hill, he will often uses a strum he refers to as the "sugar packet roll" in which he flicks up his pointer, middle and ring fingers on the strings. The cut away acts as a ramp for this making his technique much easier to perform. When he solo performs he uses this complex pattern to both trill and strum at the same time and the cut away style makes it a bit easier to do.

Cutaway? Who needs a cutaway?

fluke_concert_mango.jpg

I've never owned a cutaway because I never liked their looks,but I'm a raised in the islands old fut living in the past mired by tradition. I have a hard enough time liking the wahine shaped 'ukulele preferring the Hawaiian original pineapple shape. Everything else looks odd to me. :cool:

Maybe it might help some really advanced, all over the neck players like James Hill, but for everyone here it is no advantage.

Speak for yourself.
I unfortunately have just one ukulele with a cutaway, but once you cross the 12d fret it is WAY easier to play there.
No opinion on my side if a cutaway looks good or not, but if you do just a bit more than simply accompany singing a cutaway is not a "must have" but a really "nice to have".

The other extreme is my cigar box, despite having 15 frets there are some songs I simply can't play on it because my left hand does not find the space to go there.
An alternative is for example the Kala Giraffe (tenor neck on a soprano body, a very very very good combination!).

My opinion, if you never go higher than let's say the 10th fret forget about cutaways (unless you like the look). If you do consider them as an option.

Not personally a fan of the aesthetics and don't have a problem reaching the upper frets for the points I currently use them (beyond hitting the right notes which is not the fault of the instrument.)

I think cut aways are pretty cool looking but I don't own one but only because I've never found one that struck my fancy to buy. For Ukulele I don't see a need to have it other than you just like the look. Even with Baritone I have no problem reaching the end of the fret board. Doug

I like the traditional look better and I can play around 12 - 15 with little additional difficulty if need be. My Collings tenor has 13 frets clear, my Lanikai has 14.

Top Bottom